Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 9th, 2007 11:00

CPU Fan not detected

Hi,

I recently had to replace the CPU fan and the Heat-Sink retention modual on my second hand Dimension 2350. Unfortunatly, now every time I boot the computer I get the message CPU Fan not detected. The fan is working just fine and all clips on the Heat-Sink are secure. I have updated the Bios to A02, could anyone please gave me hints on what else I could try to fix this problem.

A free peek at my collection of pics of paint drying to the person who solves it. :smileyvery-happy:

Dave

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 9th, 2007 12:00

On many Dell's, unless you use a Dell replacement fan that will happen. 

Hi Fireberd,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Sorry I ommited to say in my original post that both parts I replaced were genuine Dell replacements.

Dave

9.4K Posts

Dave, just for the heck of it try going into the BIOS Setup and clearing the Event log.  The boot up message maybe just a reminder of a past event.  You can click here  Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for your model's on-line user Guide and the section pertaining to the BIOS Event Log for your reference.

February 9th, 2007 13:00

Hi Majestic,

Thanks for the idea, I'm afraid it didn't work. :smileysad:

Dave

9.4K Posts

February 9th, 2007 13:00

Dave, the only other thing I can think of is double check the plug.  If it had a three prong socket make sure the plug is on all three pins and facing the right way. 

February 9th, 2007 14:00

Does it show anything in Device manager, or does the error only show up during the boot process?

2K Posts

February 9th, 2007 15:00

CPU fan is not a 'managed' device; Windows has no awareness of it.

The fan generates a tach signal to show that it's turning.  The absence of that signal is what prompts the error message.  The new fan may be defective, not generating tach.  The wires or plug may be defective, not transmitting the signal to the MB.  Or the MB may be defective, not recognizing the signal--but that's less likely since you didn't have the problem before.  Or did you?  Was the error message the reason you replaced the original fan, and was the original fan actually spinning or not?

As I recall, the tach wire is white.  On 3-wire fans, it's the wire that's not red or black.  On 4-wire fans, the yellow wire is PWM speed command.  Look closely at the plug attached to the fan, that all the metal pins are pushed completely into the plastic housing.

2K Posts

February 9th, 2007 15:00

duplicate deleted--dunno what happened, I only clicked once, it entered twice

Message Edited by x_lab rat on 02-09-2007 11:54 AM

February 9th, 2007 16:00

Hi, The Old fan was definatly at fault, the blades were scraping the housing. I have checked that the red, black, and white wires are in the right order but I have noticed that the plug is of a slightly different design to the old one. I reported this to Upgrade Options and they have assured me that it is the correct fan for my Dimension 2350. I think I could file off the offending protrusion but this would make my warranty non valid.

Dave 

2K Posts

February 10th, 2007 00:00

Hmm.  If the fan is running, the outside pins (red and black) are definitely making contact.  One can generally count on Dell spare parts to fit, but not unconditionally.

Warranty on the fan?  It's only 90 days.  A fan that works properly will always work properly for the first 90 days.  But at this point we don't know it's working properly.  I'd call back and say the replacement part causes an error that wasn't there before, get them to ship you another one.

If the replacement does the same thing you can 99% eliminate the fan itself as the cause.

February 10th, 2007 07:00

Thanks x_lab rat and others,

I'll give them another call on Monday and ask them to explain the different looking connectors. I'll just bet they have some glib answer down pat as I can't be the only one to have the problem. LOL

Dave

2K Posts

February 10th, 2007 15:00

:smileyvery-happy:
One of the problems with Dell 'phone technicians' is that they don't have anything down pat--most notable shortcoming, hardware diagnosis.  Most don't even listen to what you say, beyond picking a keyword out of it and entering that in a search engine then reading back what the search engine says.  It won't have an entry for "replacement part plug doesn't fit", at which point the person on the phone either puts you on indefinite hold or makes something up (the glib part).

However, if you can get across to them the simple notion that the 'replacement part doesn't work' or 'fan causes error message' they should be able to conclude you need another one.  Unfortunately, if the search engine shipped you the wrong one last time, it will very likely do so again.
No Events found!