Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2014 13:00

CPU Problem

I have a Dell Studio XPS 540 Desktop 2.33 GHz, 8GB, 1.2 TB hard drive that is not working. It has an Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 processor which I need to replace. My problem is I don't know which socket it has and from what I can tell there are two to choose from--a LGA 1366/Socket B or a LGA 775/Socket T. Can anyone tell me which one I need or how to figure out which one I need?  I purchased this computer 5 years ago. I tried looking for information about it on Dell's website and its as if this computer never existed.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 1st, 2014 14:00

caramelblessed

Joyce,

Had not thought about that. 

The Dell Studio 540 Mini Tower motherboard has a socket LGA 775.

A silly question, why are you replacing the processor, did it fail because Intel processors rarely fail.

You can find a list of compatible Socket LGA 775 processors here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19432795/20036722.aspx#20036722

Bev.

Hi Bev,

Thank you for your help and the links you offered. Unfortunately, my computer is not working so the CPU Z won't help me. The information I need is also not listed in the setup guide or the service manual. However, I will save the service manual for future use.  Thanks for trying to help me.

Joyce

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

caramelblessed

Cannot find the Studio XPS 540 Desktop listed by Dell, but Dell did make a Studio 540 Mini Tower about six years ago, would this be the computer you have?

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_desktop/studio-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_desktop/studio-desktop_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

If you want you find out the details of the motherboard, download a free copy of CPU Z

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

caramelblessed

Joyce,

Regards to the LGA 1366-Socket B, this primarily supports the i7 9xx series of processors.

Bev.

Wow. Thanks for all the info. That's not a silly question at all.  The person that is fixing my computer states that the power supply and cpu fan are working but computer is not getting any video. He changed the video card and still got no response. He suggested  that the motherboard is probably fried and even though the cpu fan is working, it would probably be a good idea to purchase a new cpu as well. Because if  the cpu is the problem, putting my current cpu on a new motherboard would probably only fry the new motherboard. He left this task to me to find out the prices so I could decide if I wanted to purchase these items or just buy a new computer. I would really prefer to keep my current computer a little longer if I could as I really don't have the cash to purchase the computer I want right now.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 1st, 2014 15:00

caramelblessed

Joyce,

After what I read, I would also suspect a motherboard issue.

Personally, I would try to reused the existing processor.

Regards to installing a failed processor on a new motherboard, basically all what happens is, either the system will not boot and/or you will get error messages, it should not fry the motherboard.

The desktop I'm using to type this, had the same issue, I replaced the motherboard as it was fried by a power surge, through the DSL line, the 'old' Quad 4 processor was reinstalled, without any issues.

Also, replaced the fried router and converted house DSL hard wired setup, to a wireless system, hopefully preventing it happening again.

Bev.

July 1st, 2014 16:00

Thank you for all the info. You have truly been a big help. I have already ordered the motherboard so hopefully I will be back up and running in a few days. I already wireless. As a matter of fact, we switched the modem and router we previously had to a gateway last week so I am anxious to see if the speed is increased on my computer.  Seeing you had issued with your computer as well, I just have one more question and then I'm done. Did you lose your hard drive as well?  Again, thanks so much for your assistance.

Joyce

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 1st, 2014 16:00

caramelblessed

Joyce,

No, the hard drives were fine, which was great news, as they are SSD and expensive.

Bev.

No Events found!