Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2011 18:00

CPU will not power up after power failure (home PC)

We had a power outage of about 1 hour today.  Our Dell Inspiron CPU will not start at all.  When the power button is pushed nothing happens.  The fan doesn't turn on etc.  All of the peripherials are working and I have changed the power source to three different outlets.  The CPU and all of the peripherals are on a power strip.  I can't explain why it won't work?

Help!  It is a Dell Inspiron 518 purchased on Oct 2008.

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 4th, 2011 20:00

Bvanniman

Is the power button LED, Steady Blue, or White, Blinking Blue, or White, Steady Amber, or Off?

You can find Dell's Quick Reference Guide/Troubleshooter for the Inspiron 518 HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>  in PDF form

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 5th, 2011 10:00

Bvanniman

Could be a power supply failure.

Does the power supply fan run?

If you have a Dell warranty in effect, contact Dell's Technical Support, no warranty, try checking that all the cables inside the case are properly connected, including the cables to the front panel.

If the above does not help and you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Bev.

2 Posts

February 5th, 2011 10:00

Thanks for your reply.  The LED button is off with no light.  On the back of the CPU there is a green LED light that is lit but once I disconnect the power source it fades to black.  There is no noise coming from the CPU itself, no fan etc.

No Events found!