Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2008 17:00

CUSTOMER SERVICE NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

I have spent 5 plus hours today trying to get an upgraded OS for my new XPS 720, to go from Vista ultimate 32 to the 64 bit version.

I have been told by no less that 4 different persons in every department I  called that:

1 Its not available.

2 We dont offer that, call Microsoft.

3 Why do you want to do that ? It wont work !

4 You cant do that, and

5 You have  to change the motherboard out if I want to run Vista  64  ultimate.

6. Dont believe everything you read ! 

When I reference the thread in this  forum that says I can do it, and give them the Dell document number that the forum moderator Chris references they say, it does not exist. 

When I ask them for an Employee number, so that when I write a letter to Dell I can reference my conversation   I am hung up on. 

When I ask to move this up to a higher lever ie: a manager or above they say "they cant help you "

I have talked to India twice, Canada, possibly Haiti or Africa, and even the USA.  All give the same answer.

So, is the information in this forum a lie, or is the rest of the compant asleep ?  

Dell is quick to take my money.... but after the sale ?

This is my third Dell computer, and each time I said I would never buy another one, because of various issues.  But  I come back every 2 years, thinking things are better. 

This is my last Dell.  

In fact I say issue a pick up RMA and come get it.   1200 bucks is not much to Mr Dell,   but its a lot of money to me.

Give Dell a second chance ?  No, as today is the end of the 21 day "Dell takes it back " contract.

I will now spend my dollars  on a computer from Mr Hewlett and Mr Packerd, God rest their souls. 

I cant get much worse service from them   I guess. 

Please post this, as I think it does not violate your rules.  Thank You 

1.3K Posts

This post has been removed in protest of DCF's and Dell's policies, behavior, lack of respect, and poor treatment of the community.
Message Edited by cademetz on 06-27-2008 11:09 PM

The general consensus is, no you cannot get a 64 bit disc from Dell.  Yeah, so someone in a post said they were able to get it...  doesn't make it true.   Several people, including myself have asked Dell about this, and we all tend to get the same answer.  "No"

"No" due to the fact that driver compatibility is an issue, and they'd need to open another 50 call centers to support the issues that can arise from it.

Cancel your order, buy an HP if you're than unhappy.   

:smileyhappy:

33 Posts

April 25th, 2008 18:00

THIS IS THE THREAD, OR GO TO THE XPS DESKTOP SECTION AND SEARCH ON  'DELL XPS 420 VISTA 64BIT "

THIS IS A THREAD THAT A DELL MODERATOR HAS STATED WHAT I CONTEND THAT DELL CAN PROVIDE THE 64 BIT OS

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&thread.id=45970

AND SIR, I HAVE ASKED FOR MY CALL TO GO TO HIGHER LEVEL THAN FIRST LINE SUPPORT EACH TIME THEY STUMBLE WITH MY QUESTION.

AT NO TIME DID I REFERENCE  "SOME RANDOM POST ON A MESSAGE FORUM" AS YOU CONTEND.  THIS IS A DELL FORUM, AND IT REPRESENTS DELL AS A COMPANY.  IN ALL CALLS TODAY I GAVE THEM THE FORUM PAGE AND HOW TO GET TO IT.  I GAVE THEM THE SEARCH TERM,  AND SPELLED IT OUT FOR THOSE THAT HAD A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING AMERICAN ENGLISH. ONE LADY COULD BARELY NAVIGATE THE FORUM PAGE.

YES, I AM FRUSTRATED.......................MAYBE I AM EXPERIENG THE RESULT OF ALL THE LAYOFFS....ITS A DOWNWARD SPIRAL IT THEY CANT GET TRAIN AND RETAIN  CUST. SUPPORT PERSONELL.   DELL USEDT TO BE THE TOP DOG......NOW THERE NOT.  AND IT SHOWS WHY.

WHO DID  I CALL ??    ANYONE AT THE PHONE NUMBERS LISTED ON THE SUPPORT.DELL.COM PAGE   IN EACH CASE AN AUTOMATED SYSTEM TRIES TO DIRECT YOUR CALL......I AM AT THE MERCY OF THE PHONE SYSTEM.  BUT, ALMOST EVERYONE I TALKED TO WAS POLITE, EXCEPT THE LADY IN INDIA---SHE SHOULD LOSE HER JOB FOR TERMINATING  THE CALL MID-SENTENCE.

I SAID WHAT I SAID---MAY MR DELL SHOULD GET BACK IN THE TRENCHES AND SEE THE WHOLE PICTURE.

IT WAS HOME USERS THAT PUT DELL IN THE BIG TIME A FEW YEARS AGO.  DIRECT SALES, A TECHNICALL SUPERIOR PRODUCT, GOOD TECH SUPPORT.  WHAT HAPPENED ?

YOU ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS...ARE YOU A MID LEVEL MANAGER OR DIRECTOR  WITH DELL ?  IF SO, MAYBE YOU CAN DISCUSS THIS AT TH NEXT SALES MEETING

BELOW IS A SECTION OF THE POST I PASTED HERE; 

DELL-Chris_M wrote:
tasone,

=====
Document ID: 158098 Operating System Changes and Operating System Swaps - Dell Global Policy

This policy is for Windows Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium only. Linux/Ubuntu and FreeDOS are NOT eligible for operating system swaps from Dell.

32-bit to 64-bit (or vice-versa) for Windows Vista Only. If a customer expresses a desire to change their operating system from 32-bit capacity to the SAME version of the operating system with 64-bit capacity, this is permitted. An example of this situation is if the customer is running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit and wants to run Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit. These swaps require no approval, nor does a replacement certificate of authenticity (COA) need to be sent.

Why don't you just go out and buy the 64, if you want it so bad.  That's what I would do.

1.3K Posts

This post has been removed in protest of DCF's and Dell's policies, behavior, lack of respect, and poor treatment of the community.
Message Edited by cademetz on 06-27-2008 11:09 PM

33 Posts

IT SUPRISES ME THAT THE RESPONDENTS TO THIS POSTING DEFEND SUCH MEDIOCRE  CUSTOMER SERVICE.

AS FOR SHOUTING, IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY THE USE OF CAPS, I FELL SORRRY FOR YOU.. GO OUTSIDE AND GET SOME SUN ...BUT PLEASE DONT WHINE THAT YOUR EARS HURT FROM USING CAPITAL LETTERS. 

YOU SEE YOUNG MAN, I DONT HAVE THE USE OF ALL MY FINGERS SO IT IS HARD TO SHIFT AND UN -SHIFT A KEYBOARD.. FOR THE SAKE OF COMMUNICATION, YOU DO GET THE MESSAGE...ALL CAPS OR NOT

THIS FORUM IS RUN BY DELL, IS PART OF THE DELL WEBSITE, AND THERFORE DOES REPRESENT DELL POLICY, IF SUCH STATEMENTS ARE WRITTEN BY DELL EMPLOYEES, OR OTHERS THAT REPRESENT DELL.

ALL REFERENCES TO DELL DOCUMENTS ON THE AVAILABLILITY OF THE 64 BUT VISTA ULTIMATE OS WERE WRITTEN BY A DELL MODERATOR.

SMILE, BE HAPPY, AND TRY TYPING WITH ONE HAND AND THREEE FINGERS 

33 Posts

April 25th, 2008 19:00

NEXT  ON MY LIST TO SHOUT TO 

* Michael Dell
Chairman and CEO
michael_dell@dell.com

* Donald Carty
Vice Chairman and CFO
donald_carty@dell.com

* Ronald Garriques
President, Global Consumer Group
ronald_garriques@dell.com

* Michael Cannon
President, Global Operations
michael_cannon@dell.com

* Mark Jarvis
Senior VP and Chief Marketing Officer
(Dude, You're Getting An Email!)
mark_jarvis@dell.com

* Lawrence Tu
Senior VP, General Counsel
lawrence_tu@dell.com

* Susan Sheskey
Senior VP, Chief Information Officer
susan_sheskey@dell.com

* Andrew Esparza
Senior VP Human Resources
andrew_esparza@dell.com

* Paul Bell
Senior VP and President, Americas
paul_bell@dell.com

* Stephen Felice
Senior VP and President, Asia
stephen_felice@dell.com

* David Marmonti
Senior VP, President, Europe, Middle East and Africa
david_marmonti@dell.com

* Brad Anderson
Senior VP, Business Product Group
brad_anderson@dell.com

* Jeffrey Clarke
Senior VP, Business Product Group
jeffrey_clarke@dell.com

* Martin Garvin
Senior VP, Worldwide Procurement
martin_garvin@dell.com

* Alex Gruzen
Senior VP, Dell Product Group
alex_gruzen@dell.com

* Joan Hooper
Vice President, Finance, Chief Accounting Officer
joan_hooper@dell.com

* William Gray
Board of Directors
william_gray@dell.com

I'm not defending DELL but as you said that you have now had the computer for 21 days, why is this issue now coming up?  Did you see the 64bit offered as an upgrade when you purchased it?  No.  So send it back and go find another machine that suits you.  Doesn't seem that difficult.

670 Posts

That's GREAT!  =)   oops I shouted.

You know I think it's kind of funny that, because you're sitting in this forum with this particular problem with this particular company and complaining that the support has just gone downhill (which I certainly won't deny being ex-tech support for Dell).  You negative praise for the company of which you purchased 3 systems from over the last 6 years just bewilders me.

You stated that the customer service level is lacking.  Well, ok.  Also note that everytime my mortgage company calls me, they're foreign.  Every credit card now asks "Hello I'm Bob" in their best foreign/English accent.  The bottom line is that many companies see the benefit of cheaper support so they choose to seek oversees support.  Ok, who cares. 

You don't need to slam Dell.  You need only ask some of the very talented and intuitive individuals in this forum to help you with your problems. (technically speaking).  We utilize this forum for support on actual issues and suggestions to making our systems run better.

Please, if you want to slam Dell then write them a letter, but allow this forum to continue providing much needed solutions to the needs of these individuals.

This is not a slam, but I will say that it's time to relax.

14.4K Posts

JaqueBauer

Knock your self out ..

Ryan,

I had to google it up, but that's pretty funny.

182 Posts

Hello

i can understand your problems, i am also having a few issues with support.

the problems i have is not one of them says the same thing as the next

i have vista 64bit is ONLY for servers.

to dell dont do any 64bit OS whatsoever.

and yes we can swap it for you, but i cant you need to goto customer care, and their tell you no, and your on-site cover is also not covered anymore!!!!!!!

andy

182 Posts

he he

i remember CP/M what a pig that was to use, (i need to use this floppy, but i need to log it on, but i cant log it on, until i can see it, but i not able to see it until i log it on, oh what a good system that was)

CP/M plus was must better (not that showing my age a little bit :)

Andy

670 Posts

I should complain about mine too as I'm trying to upgrade from Vista to CP/M.

;)

33 Posts

April 25th, 2008 21:00

I thought (mistakingly) that since Dell employees moderate this site, that possibly someone from Dell would act on my issue---since no one at the end of the phone will.

The non independent contributors are not the focus of my dissapointment...quite to the contrary.  I learn more from the you, users  and contributors every day, and as such  I am thankful. 

Your dedication to this company is most amazing.   Your right, this is not the vehicle to express dissatisfaction with Dell.

In the future, all my rants will go elsewhere on the net.  I will only pray to dell here 

No Events found!