Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2005 21:00

Can GX110 BIOS be upgraded to accept 160Gb ATA HDD?

I have upgarded my BIOS from A07 to A09, but when I connect my new hard drive and go to format the system only sees 130~Gb with 30Gb missing - can't find a higher BIOS for Optiplex GX110.
If I can't get BIOS to recognise the missing 30Gb, can I still use Hard Drive without data loss?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 15th, 2005 23:00

Most modern bios allow 48 bit LBA.  The release notes on later versions of the bios usually note this.

ALL VERSIONS of windows out of the box DO NOT SUPPORT 48 bit LBA.

The maxtor Big drive enabler works with ALL DRIVES all manufacturers AKA its not drive specific it just hacks a registry key on 2000/XP.

Enabling this key DOES NOT make Unsupported BIOS 48 bit lba.

They will neither confirm nor deny any such compatability further complcated
by the fact that NO VERSION OF WINDOWS out of the box supports 48 Bit LBA.

Win98 needs the Application Accelerator and a Patched version of FDISK to partition and format a huge drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=263044

WIN2000/XP/2003 Need Service Packs and a registry hack like that from the Maxtor Big IDE enabler.

http://service.maxtor.com/rightnow/product_manuals/137GB_Solutions.pdf

137Gigabyte barrier solutions:
This information applies to the necessary steps that need to be taken to break the 137
Gigabyte barrier, whenever a Hard Disk drive larger than 137 Gigabytes is connected to the
motherboard's ATA bus. This does not apply to embedded or add-in Serial ATA, or ATA/133 hosts.
The Serial ATA and ATA/133 hosts should have 48-Bit compliant BIOS and drivers. Check with the
motherboard or add-in host manufacturer for the latest BIOS and driver updates, for these types
of controllers. Currently there are 3 options to remedy the 137 Gigabyte barrier. Failure to
implement the solutions will result in data loss when trying to access the hard disk beyond 137 Gigabytes.

Installation Option 1:
For drives attached to the primary or secondary channel on the motherboard controller, use
Windows XP (service pack 1 or newer) or Windows 2000 (service pack 3 or newer), and install
MaxBlast 3, or Maxtor Big Drive Enabler. Windows XP and 2000 with the newest service packs
can be used without additional hardware requirements. This option assumes you are attaching
the hard drive to the primary or secondary motherboard controller. If you are attaching the
hard drive to an additional controller (e.g., PCI adapter card), see option 3.
Step 1: Attach the large hard drive to the primary or secondary motherboard controller.
Step 2: Install one of the following operating systems: Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 1
or newer. Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 or newer.
Step 3: Install MaxBlast 3, or Run Maxtor Big Drive Enabler software patch.

Installation Option 2: For drives attached to the primary or secondary channel on the motherboard
controller-and you don't have Windows XP (service pack 1 or newer) or Windows 2000 (service pack 3 or newer)
-install a 48-Bit LBA compliant IDE ATA/ATAPI controller driver, and run the driver installation software.
If you are not using Windows XP (service pack 1 or newer) or Windows 2000 (service pack 3 or newer),
you must use an IDE ATA/ATAPI controller driver supplied by the controller chipset manufacturer to
provide 48-Bit LBA support. This option assumes you are attaching the hard drive to the primary or
secondary motherboard controller. If you are attaching a hard drive to an additional controller
(e.g., PCI adapter card), see option 3. Step 1: Attach the large hard drive to the primary or
secondary motherboard controller, and install the operating system. Step 2: Identify the chipset
used in your operating system, and load the appropriate drivers if available from the chipset manufacturer.
Currently the only chipset manufacturer offering 48-Bit compliant motherboard controller drivers is Intel.

The driver effectively replaces the Windows 98/Me, 2000 and XP, ATA controller drivers.
The Intel 48-Bit LBA compliant IDE ATA/ATAPI controller drivers are limited to systems with Intel chipsets,
and support the following chipsets only: 810, 810E, 810E2, 810L, 815, 815EP, 815G, 815EG, 815P, 820, 820E,
840, 845, 845E, 845G, 845GE, 845GL, 845GV, 845PE, 850, 850E, 860. The Intel Application Accelerator can be
obtained here http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/ Please read Intel's accompanying documentation
and recommendations. You will need to periodically check other chipset and motherboard manufacturer's web
sites for 48-Bit LBA compliant IDE ATA/ATAPI controller drivers as they become available.

Installation Option 3:
Attach the large hard drive to an embedded or add-in Serial ATA/ ATA133 controller with a 48-Bit LBA compliant
BIOS and controller driver. Older Microsoft Operating Systems and other Operating Systems, such as LINUX variants,
can support large drives with the addition of an IDE ATA/ATAPI controller. Some of these are embedded motherboard

controllers, but additional card controllers can be added to a system by inserting the controller
in an open PCI bus slot. Most IDE ATA/ATAPI drive controllers capable of 48-Bit LBA support, such as those
available from Promise, Highpoint, VIA, have 48-Bit LBA compliant drivers for many of these operating systems.
Using an IDE ATA/ATAPI controller that has a 48-Bit LBA compatible controller driver will allow safe use of
large drives beyond the previous limits of 137 GB capacity. Additional controllers that do not have 48-Bit compliant
drivers cannot safely access drives larger than 137 GB. Step 1: Attach the large hard drive to the additional
controller (e.g., PCI adapter card). Step 2: Install a 48-Bit LBA compatible controller driver. Most IDE ATA/ATAPI
drive controllers capable of 48-Bit LBA support, such as those available from Promise, Highpoint, VIA, and other

manufacturers, have 48-Bit LBA compliant drivers for many operating systems. If your additional controller does
not come with a 48-Bit LBA compliant controller driver, you must download one from the motherboard or chipset
manufacturer's Web site. MaxBlast 3 and Maxtor Big Drive Enabler for Windows 2000 service pack 3 and Windows
XP service pack 1 After connecting a large drive to the motherboard's ATA bus, and installing Windows 2000 or
XP with the latest service packs. The Windows registry will need a patch to enable large drive support.

You can reference Microsoft KB article # Q30313 for Windows XP,

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=303013

or Microsoft KB article # Q305098 for Windows 2000.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=305098
You have two options for enabling big drive support in Windows 2000, or XP after the service packs have been installed.

Install MaxBlast 3 Windows version that is included in the retail kit,
or download the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/big_drive_enabler.htm

1. After the service packs are installed, download the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler to your
Windows desktop and double click the icon, or Install MaxBlast 3 to the Windows desktop,
(Remove the CD it's bootable) and re-boot the system.
2. When the system is back to the Windows desktop, run MaxBlast 3 from the desktop icon.
3. MaxBlast 3, or the Big Drive Enabler will poll the Windows operating system for the
existence of the service packs.
4. If Windows 2000 service pack 3 or Windows XP service pack 1 are true, a pop-up screen
will display.
5. After selecting "OK" the system will re-boot to the Windows desktop.

The limit is based on 48 BIT LBA.

That means WINDOWS 98/ME/2000/XP do not support this without registry hacks and or the
IAA.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009299.htm

You can use the Intel® Application Accelerator to access the full capacity of hard drives that are larger than 137GB on supported Intel® chipsets with a supported operating system. The Intel Application Accelerator supports hard drives that are greater than 137GB -- which is also referred to as 48-bit logical block addressing (LBA).

Windows* XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows 98 SE, Windows 98, and Windows NT* 4.0 do not provide native support for hard drives that are larger than 137GB. 48-bit LBA support can be added with Windows* XP Service Pack 1 †and Windows* 2000 Service Pack 4 †. Please contact Microsoft* for additional information. In order to enable hard drives larger than 137GB, you will need to install the Intel Application Accelerator or install a 3rd party 48-bit LBA controller card.

Although the Intel Application Accelerator supports 48-bit LBA hard drives, it is not designed to, nor is it capable of, modifying partition sizes. When using Windows* Me, Windows 98 SE, or Windows 98 you may need to install a 3rd party hard drive partitioning software such as PartitionMagic* or Partition Commander* in order to increase the partition size to the hard drive's full capacity.

The Intel® Application Accelerator supports the following Intel® chipsets:

Intel® 810 Chipset
Intel® 810E Chipset  (OPTIPLEX GX110)
Intel® 810E2 Chipset
Intel® 810L Chipset
Intel® 815 Chipset   (Dimension 4100)
Intel® 815E Chipset
Intel® 815EP Chipset
Intel® 815G Chipset
Intel® 815EG Chipset
Intel® 815P Chipset
Intel® 820 Chipset
Intel® 820E Chipset
Intel® 840 Chipset
Intel® 845 Chipset
Intel® 845E Chipset
Intel® 845G Chipset (OPTIPLEX GX240)
Intel® 845GE Chipset
Intel® 845GL Chipset
Intel® 845GV Chipset
Intel® 845PE Chipset
Intel® 850 Chipset
Intel® 850E Chipset
Intel® 860 Chipset

2 Posts

November 29th, 2005 19:00

When I partitioned my HDD into 3 I can See the full 160Gb. Thanks for Reply.
No Events found!