Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2011 15:00

Can I Connect My IDE Hard Drive to SATA Motherboard?

I have an old IDE hard drive that I need to retrieve my old files from. My current computer is a Dell Dimension C521 Desktop. I'm not sure if my motherboard has a spot to connect my old IDE hard drive to it. Is there any way that I can connect my old IDE hard drive to my current computer and use it as a secondary hard drive, so that I can get my old files from it? Someone else told me that I can use one of the CD ROM connections to connect to my old hard drive. Will that work? If not, what do I need to do?

November 12th, 2011 16:00

Thanks for your answer. Could you explain to me how to temporarily retrieve the files, using the CD drive?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 12th, 2011 16:00

You can use the IDE power and data from a CD drive to temporarily retrieve files.  Another option is to use a USB connected external housing for the drive and do it that way.  With the external housing and USB connection you can use the old driver for whatever you want, such as backing up the hard drive in the C521.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 12th, 2011 17:00

Hi NetFanatic123,

What Firebird is suggesting is to connect your IDE drive to the cable and power connector currently connected to your CD drive. Make sure the drive is jumpered to cable select. It may be necessary to do this with the case open.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

NetFanatic123

No, as I've already posted, the C521 does not have any IDE controllers, the motherboard only has one floppy drive and two SATA controllors.

Bev.

Is there a way I can do this without an adapter?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

NetFanatic123

The Dimension C521 has no IDE controllers, this model only supports SATA drives, the IDE hard drive cannot be installed internally.

One of the easiest procedures for transfering the files and folders, from the IDE hard drive  and use an USB 2.0 adaptor similar to THIS, then attach the hard drive to an USB port of the C521, to transfer the files and folders.  Remember to set the IDE HD's jumpers to the 'Master' setting

Note: Only data files can be transfered, any applications, utlities and programs, need to be reinstalled from their CD's, or downloaded from the publisher's website.

Bev.

No Events found!