Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2011 15:00

Can I put my Dell GX620's motherboard in a bigger case?

I should have done more research on this computer and it's upgrade-ability for buying...

I've run into so many different limitations with my Dell GX620 (no real choices in upgrading my power supply due to weird shape and position of the power supply... video cards are too big for the case...)

All I want to do is get a decent power supply and a nice graphics card, but I cannot do this with the case my GX620 came with. I've got a mini-tower form factor.

Is it possible to take the motherboard out of this computer and put it into a regular sized desktop case? And would that allow me to put in a better power supply?
Or would I still me limited in choices of power supplies because of the mobo itself? 

Or am I stuck with a too-narrow computer that can't have a more powerful power supply or graphics card?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 31st, 2011 04:00

You can probably put the motherboard in a mini tower (full size) GX620 case but that is about all, due to the Dell proprietary stuff.  That would allow you to use regular power supplies and regular size cards.   

But, as the GX620 is limited to Windows XP or older, you would be better spending the upgrade $$ on a new PC.

2 Posts

March 31st, 2011 19:00

I believe I already do have the biggest case size for the Gx620 (mini tower). There was micro-mini and something even smaller too, but I've got  the Mini Tower.
Do you think I could replace the power supply in this case? If so, then I don't really have any other issues... except my video card will not fit inside this case, as-is., 

Also, this came pre-loaded with Windows 7. Why did you say it's limited to older Windows?

No Events found!