Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 12th, 2013 10:00

Can I use an nvdia gtx 560ti with the new dell 8700

Hi i just purchased the dell 8700 and i was wondering if i can transfer my 560ti from my current system which is an xps 720. Which where way better made by the way, this 8700 cheap by comparison.  If it's not enough power. I was wondering if i could transfer the psu from my xps 720 which is a 750 watt into the xps 8700. Please help!

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 12th, 2013 10:00

Hi Mageborn23,

Dell has tested XPS 8700 with following video cards :

• nVidia GeForce GTX 660, GTX 645, GTX 650Ti, GTX 660
  • AMD Radeon HD 7570, HD8870

Though, Dell has not tested GTX 560 Ti with this system, based on technical specifications it should work. You may refer to link Here.

Although, the link says that it requires 500W power supply, I did some online research and found that some users were to use this card with the same power supply (460W). 

XPS 720 uses BTX form factor motherboards and chassis. XPS 8700 uses ATX form factor and may not be able to accommodate the power supply of XPS 720.

1 Message

July 19th, 2013 22:00

I think the form factor for the XPS 8700 is a "mini" ATX form factor

1.5K Posts

July 20th, 2013 08:00

The motherboard is a micro ATX type, but the case is standard ATX.  The PSU in the 720 was proprietary I believe and not standard ATX.  The PSU in the 8700 can be replaced if necessary with a standard ATX type unit.  However, you will not need to with the GTX 560 Ti.  

The XPS 720 was specifically designed for gaming.  The XPS models today are not.  If you want that, you'll have to move to the Alienware systems.  

Also, most likely you will have to disable Secure Boot in your bios settings for the card to be recognized on a Windows 8 computer like the 8700.  

1 Message

March 28th, 2014 18:00

Hi, I got my new Dell XPS 8700 some days ago and tried to replace the built-in GTX 645 with my older GTX 560 OC (from Gigabyte). The result: The System boots normally into Windows 8.1, but my Monitor says "no Input Signal". What I tried (and failed): Replacing the P7 Power Supply Cord with an Adapter powered by SATA-power-cable. Replacing both P7 and P8 Power Supply Cords with the PS from another Computer (running both at the same time). Using an DVI-to-VGA-Adapter. Using an DVI-to-HDMI-Adapter. Using both DVI-ports (one with DVI-to-DVI and the other with DVI-to-HDMI). Disconnecting power supplies from all drives. Trying the GTX 645 in my old Studio XPS 8000 (works). I do not understand, why my older 560 OC does not work, because the PSU of the Studio XPS 8000 hat lesser Power than the PSU of the new XPS 8700. Also, I do not understand why I don't get any Errors when trying to use the PC with the older GTX 560, I only have no Display Signal, but Windows boots and I can connect via RDP to it. Also, I don't understand why Windows crashes when I connect via VNC: The Screen Resolution is automatically changed from Full HD to 1024x768 and VNC says "i cannot capture the Screen" and Windows crashes (black Screen freeze), using the onboard graphics Adapter. I'll now try to update the BIOS and VBIOS, but perhaps someone knows a quick and stable solution.

798 Posts

April 14th, 2014 21:00

If your 8700 doesn't boot up properly using kelbear's suggestion of booting with secure boot disabled with the GTX 560 OC installed then you have a video bios problem.

I had the same problem with a non-reference EVGA 560 OC and a new XPS 8500 a while back and got the "no input signal".  Went a few rounds with Dell and EVGA, and hit a dead end.  Basically it is an older card and no new video bios support was available for the newer machines.  

So unless Gigabyte has a newer video bios for you for the GTX 5XX series or Dell's newer XPS 8700 BIOS includes one for that card you are out of luck.

You would likely be better served with getting a new card anyway, as that GTX 560 is pretty power hungry and pretty slow compared to recent offerings.  That i7 4770 machine flies and deserves a nicer card.

No Events found!