Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2012 13:00

Can NOT reformat my desktop?

Hi there

For a while now, I've been having problems with me Dell Stuido 540 desktop. It is a 32 bit and operates on Microsoft Vista. The recovery disk didn't come with the PC and I've searched high and low for answers on this. I need to restore it to factory settings but every way I try, it won't let me. I have tried through the 'repair computer' feature, but when I get to the admin credentials it says that everything I put in, doesn't match the domain. Is it possible it could be anything else?

Also, I have tried the recovery image, which just doesn't work and the particition also doesn't want to do so. I am really in need of some help because i am slowly loosing the will to live. I have everything backed up on another hardrive, so that bits soted, at least.

Many thanks

Kirsty

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

See my wiki A Clean Install of Windows Vista. If you have a readable product key then you may use retail media and phone activation as described. There is a download link to the retail media in my wiki Microsoft Windows and Office Downloads.

2 Posts

have already completed a clean copy of Windows and I am still getting these problems. The old version also is still on here :/

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

May 28th, 2012 14:00

Hi Kirsty.

Did you follow my wiki exactly and did you follow the optional step with DBAN?

105 Posts

May 28th, 2012 18:00

Hi

Welcome to the community,

It seems that you have not formatted the hard drive correctly before installing windows on it. It could be the reason you still have dual copy of windows on there. Also, as you are not able to restore it back to factory settings  means the image has gone corrupt.  I have simplified the steps to install windows, hope these will be helpful.

Also, would like to inform you that formatting the hard drive will result in data loss. So, please make sure you have everything backed up before performing these steps.

Remove all external peripherals that are not required to operate the system. This includes:

• 1. Network cable

• 2. Modem cable

• 3. Printers

• 4. Scanners

• 5. External drives

• 6. Third-party devices

• 1. Insert the Microsoft Vista Install DVD into the DVD drive of the computer.

• 2. Restart (or power on) the computer.

• 3. Press the key as soon as the keyboard lights up.

The Boot Menu appears.

• 4. Click CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive and then press the key.

A window appears that says Press any Key to Boot from a CD or DVD.

• 5. Press a key on the keyboard.

• 6. Click Language, Time, Currency and Keyboard Method, and then click next.

• 7. On the Windows Vista Installation page, click Install Now.

• 8. Review the terms and click I accept the license terms to proceed.

• 9. On the type of installation do you want? Window, click Custom (advanced).

• 10. On the Where do you want to install Windows window, click Drive options (advanced).

• 11. Click on the largest partition, and then click Delete.

• 12. On the If you delete this partition, all data stored on it will be permanently deleted window, click OK.

• 13. On the Where do you want to install Windows window, click New

• 14. When prompted to select the size of the file, select the size, and then click Apply.  

• 15. Click to select the partition, and then click Format.  

• 16. On the If you format this partition, all data stored on it will be permanently deleted window, click OK .

• 17. On the Where do you want to install Windows window, click next.

The Installing Windows window appears.

The Setup window appears.

• 18. Select a user name, password, and picture for your user account.

• 19. On the Choose a computer name and choose a desktop background window, click next.

• 20. On the Help Protect Windows automatically window, click Use Recommended Settings.

The Review your time and date settings window appears.

• 21. Click to select your time zone, and then click next.

The Thank you window appears.

• 22. Click Start.

This should help you install the fresh copy of windows Vista on it.

Glad to assist,

Ravi Mohindroo

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

May 30th, 2012 13:00

Hi Chimology,

You need to choose your name in the drop down - Admin account would be disabled during the Restore.

Else try the below mentioned link

support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=50876&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs

No Events found!