Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 18th, 2013 11:00

Can i change the case of my dell OptiPlex 580 to a larger custom case

hi all i'm new i have just brought a pre loved OptiPlex 580 tower and i want to know if i can change the case to a larger custom case with a power supply as i just replaced my old pc's psu with new a 500w one--- ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sumvision-500W-Quiet-Silent-ATX-PC-Power-Supply-Unit-PSU-500-Watt-with-SATA-/200807997488?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item2ec116e030 )-- and more hard drives and a powered 1gb graphics card as i'm going to be using the pc for gaming mostly and what can i do about the large fan at the front it dosnt have to look preity as long as it works the case i have dose have a LOT of case fans but thay are all at the back and top

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 18th, 2013 11:00

The motherboard is proprietary, so your only recourse would be to buy a new third-party product and move your components over. The good news is that there are better mainboards like the ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX available at nominal cost that are much more feature-filled than the original; the bad news is that if you activated your OEM copy of Windows, while technically feasible, you'd be in violation of the OEM license terms which forbid motherboard swaps for reasons other than repair.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 19th, 2013 13:00

You can't move over the motherboard, because it's proprietary. End of story.

3 Posts

May 19th, 2013 13:00

all i am planning is to replace the case and psu to a bigger case and more power the motherboard is staying the same

No Events found!