Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2010 17:00

Can't download driver from dell?

I am trying to download a driver from dell because i have literally no sound coming from my computer, First i had it with the download manager, it would always say "service unavailable, please try again later." waited a day still didnt work, i then tried to take it off the download manager by going into "add/remove application in control manager, and i deleted all the cookies by going into "internet, tools, internet options and deleted all browsing history and cookies, then when i tried downloading without it, it would just shove the dell driver download manager down my throat. what do i do? P.S my computers sound worked before, i was just hit by an awful virus and i had to restard everything, i couldnt find the audio disk tho, thats why im using the dell website. "it is not the speakers fault!!!"

6.4K Posts

July 11th, 2010 18:00

yuzupp:

Try once more deleting all your cookies and when you try the download site again, first click on the name of the file you want and then use the download button in the file description box.  You should get a box that recommends the download manager, but has the option to download direct via web browser at the bottom.  Choose that; you must download only one at a time this way, but they come through in one piece.

When you reload Windows it is necessary to install all the device drivers before everything works again.  Dell's recommended order is Intel Chipset driver, Video Display driver, Network Interface driver, Sound driver, and finally, the modem driver if you have a modem.  Anything else you have gets installed after those.  You can find all but the modem driver on the Dell Resource CD that shipped with the computer.  Place the Resource CD into the CD ROM drive, allow it to autorun, and when it asks to install the application click yes.  You will get a screen that has a menu on the left that you use to select the computer model.  Once you've done that, go to the top of the screen and click on Drivers from that menu.  You will get a list of files, some having checkmarks on the left.  Select these one at a time, starting with the Intel Chipset driver as I stated earlier.  You need to restart your computer after each driver has been installed and then restart the Resource CD after the computer has finished booting.  The Resource CD is bootable and you will likely get a message when the computer restarts about hitting a key to boot from the CD.  For driver installation you should ignore that and just let the computer boot from the hard drive.

If you don't have the Resource CD, you will need to download the files from the downloads page, found here for the Dimension 2400:  Dimension 2400 Downloads.  I suggest you make a folder for each driver file in your My Documents folder and download each to its own named folder.  When you have them you will need to double click each in its turn, installing one at a time as you would from the Resource CD.  The files are self-extracting zip files so when you double click you will first get a box telling you that the files will be extracted to C:\Dell\Drivers\R#####, where the "#" sign stands for a number in the file name of the particular driver you are extracting.  Once the extraction is complete you will need to click on a button to close the auto extractor and start an installation wizard.  Just follow the directions on the screen.

To answer your original question, the on-board audio in the Dimension 2400 is the AD 198x; When installed it will likely state that its name is Sound Max.

881 Posts

I would check again to make sure every bit of the download manager is gone. If you have the onboard Realtek audio you might try getting the driver from them. NOTE: The audio drivers from the Mnfg's don't always work with Dells. Can you try the download from a different computer?

I have never heard a good thing about the download manager. I can't understand why the don't fix it or get rid of it. It seems like a good idea but seldom works as it should.

Jeff

881 Posts

That would be the manufacturer. Try getting the driver from realtek.com.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I was just trying to help you.

Jeff

8 Posts

hahaha, and I can't find it on realtek, idk how well it works either haha, i have a dimension 2400??

8 Posts

the download wont even start, it just immeaditly says service unavailable? i think it is realktok, im not sure, and whats mfng?

881 Posts

I am done with you. Try some manners.

Jeff

8 Posts

July 11th, 2010 22:00

i got it working, somehow i had safari and i just downloaded it from there, it took seconds, thank you for everyone who helped.

No Events found!