Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2007 19:00

Can't enable Sli!!!

I bought a 7900gs on ebay so I could set up sli on my xps 700 but it does not show an option to enable it and no pop up window came up after reinstalling the drivers. I am using the dell bridge (part#MJ247), I have also tested bolth cards to make sure they work independantly and they do. They bolth are the same exact gpu and look identical so im not sure what the problem is. I uninstalled the drivers twice and tried the latest dell drivers and also tried nvidia's. Im using windows MCE by the way. I found the screen where it should let me enable it but there are no options there. I have all the latest drivers from dell and even flashed the bois to 1.1.16 but no luck. The bios only shows 1 video card and it lists it in slot 4 VGA and I dont understand that since its a pci express card. Device manager also only shows 1 card. The only thing I can think of is bad pci express slot on mobo or the bridge is bad but im new to sli so maybe I missed somthing. Do I have to change a jumper on the mobo or change somthing in the bios? Any other suggestions? Please help

Thanks

January 4th, 2007 21:00

Yes it was in the control panel. Normally it has a box to check to enable sli but on mine it says something like add another video card to use sli. So for some reason its not able to see the other card. Thanks for tring to help. Any other ideas?

591 Posts

Was the screen you found in the nvidia control panel?  I was searching for an answer for you and another forum member said he enabled SLI in the nvidia control panel.  I have a 7950gx2 which requires sli to work right and the option in the nvidia control panel says multi core i think, i'm not at home right now but look for something similar. 

591 Posts

Wait for tphillips63 to answer, I' sure he'll be able to help you out. 

2.6K Posts

January 8th, 2007 03:00

You say windows does not see the card but in the primary (bottom) x16 slot both work independently right?

It sounds like you have a bad slot on the other x16 slot otherwise windows would at least see it even if it could not enable it etc, plus you say the BIOS does not see it installed either.

Double, triple check to make sure the second card is seated by using a flashlight and if it is then it has to be the motherboard.

Did you get the SLI bridge? It will go in SLI without it but performance will be bad.

"You say windows does not see the card but in the primary (bottom) x16 slot both work independently right?"

Yes.

"It sounds like you have a bad slot on the other x16 slot otherwise windows would at least see it even if it could not enable it etc, plus you say the BIOS does not see it installed either."

Yes.

"Double, triple check to make sure the second card is seated by using a flashlight and if it is then it has to be the motherboard."

I triple checked and still no luck. I will have dell send me a new mobo. Thanks for the help, I kinda thought it was the mobo but being new to sli I wanted to make sure. Thanks again

Anyone?

January 9th, 2007 18:00

I got a new mobo from dell yesterday and now the sli works perfectly but 1 of the ram slots is burned out on the new mobo so they have to replace it again. Thanks again for all the help.

381 Posts

January 9th, 2007 18:00

Wow, two bad mobo's in a row, this is what I call a streak of bad luck ... But glad to hear that at least you got the SLI setup working.

Let us know if you get the expected performance boost from SLI (or PM me directly). I'm going SLI this week myself (parts are in transit) but after reading a bunch of postings and reviews I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it.

Good luck with the third mobo!

GG
No Events found!