Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2008 22:00

Cannot Boot System

Hi there,

After walking into be greeted by the dreaded Blue Screen this morning, my system will not start up. I receive the message:  "Floppy diskette seek failure".

I've read all the other forum posts related to this error and have done the following:

uninstalled the original 2 x 512MB RAM chips
removed and replaced the mobo backup battery

And now I'm getting the "Floppy diskette seek failure" message. My system has no floppy drive, so I've disabled the 'internal floppy' by going into the Bios settings and turning diskette drive off. But now when I try booting, it just continually loops back to the error message: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully... etc" with the options to start in Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally. It just loops back to this message regardless of what startup option I choose.

My system has 3GB RAM (2 x 512MB chips when purchased, and 2 x 1GB chips installed some months ago) - full system details are below. I think one of my 512MB RAM chips failed, because when I try to start up on the 2 x 512 chips only, all I get is long beeps and lights 3 & 4 stay on.

I'm assuming that not being able to start up is due to a Bios error somewhere, however I can't seem to fix it.

Please help!

SYSTEM DETAILS

Dell Dimension 9100
3 GB RAM (currently operating on 2 x 1GB chips only)
1 x DVD-CDR Drive
No Floppy
Windows XP Pro
BIOS Revision A02

5.8K Posts

January 12th, 2008 22:00

I think you are on the right track. Since you already replaced the battery, I would try resetting the CMOS to the default values. There is a motherboard jumper.

Peter

7 Posts

January 13th, 2008 00:00

OK, I tried that but to no avail. I reset the CMOS twice by switching the jumper on the 3 pin socket, but am still getting the same 'loop' back to startup. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated! Cheers.

7 Posts

January 13th, 2008 22:00

I also tried booting from CD, but during the setup process I received the error message "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer."

I've tested the existing HDD on another machine, and it works fine (phew!).

But for the sake of testing I did the following:

Replaced HDD
Replaced SATA cable with new one
Tried a different power cable to HDD

And I STILL get the same error message "Setup did not find any hard disk drives...etc"

Can anyone help? Please??

5.8K Posts

January 13th, 2008 22:00

Does the BIOS show any HDs?

Peter

7 Posts

January 13th, 2008 23:00

Yes, it's strange! The BIOS is reading the drive just fine:

Drive ID = Maxtor 6V300F0
Capacity = 300GB
BIOS = This drive is controlled by the System BIOS
Link Speed = 3.0Gbs

5.8K Posts

January 14th, 2008 00:00

Are you using the Dell Windows disc? Otherwise you might need to supply the SATA drivers on a floppy.

Peter

7 Posts

January 16th, 2008 23:00

Yes, that was it. I reinstalled the sata drivers and was able to get into the system and repair windows. Many thanks Peter!

5.8K Posts

January 17th, 2008 00:00

Glad you got it working.

Peter
No Events found!