Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2010 17:00

Cannot LogIn!!!! Please Help!!!!!

Ok so I am attempting to fix my Dell desktop computer.  When I turn it on, It loads up just fine and takes me to the Welcome screen like everything is OK.  When I click the icon with my name to log in and go to my desktop, it shows my desktop backround, but does not load any icons, and after about 5 or 6 seconds, it logs me out and takes me back to the welcome screen.  If I click my name to login again, it does not even show my desktop, it just immediately logs me out after about 1 second. 

I know that I could probably restore my computer back to factory settings, but i do not want to do that because I have literally thousands of songs in my ITunes library that I actually paid for.  Plus there are several other things saved to my computer that I do not want to lose. 

The only idea that I have (unless somebody has a resolution to this problem), is to backup all the files on the computer onto an external hard drive, and then restore it back to factory settings.  I am also not sure how to do that.

So does anyone know how to fix this problem?  Or does anyone want to give me some instructions on how to backup all the files from my Dell Desktop computer onto my External hard drive?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Chris

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 13th, 2010 17:00

Your user acct might be corrupt. Try booting to Safe Mode and set up another user account and use that to login. If that works, copy all your music to the external drive for when the hard drive fails. If you can't start Safe Mode, post back with your model computer and your operating system.

7 Posts

July 13th, 2010 18:00

Unfortunately that did not work either.  So im stuck again.  But I have the model of the computer, so hopefully this will help.

Dell - Dimension 4550 Series

It is running - Windows XP Service Pack 2

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

You can try doing a System Restore from Safe Mode. Personal files won't be affected. Pick latest date available before the problem started.

And if that doesn't work, you may have to do a Repair/Reinstall of XP. You'll need your Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD to do that. Personal files will be ok, but you will have to reinstall all the XP updates again.

BTW: Once you get things running, you should update to XP SP3. Microsoft wiil not provide any security updates for XP SP2 from now on. :emotion-5:

Ron

7 Posts

How would I go about doing a system restore from Safe Mode?  I know how to boot into safe mode, but what do I do after that?

288 Posts

July 14th, 2010 09:00

Try: Start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore. Good Luck.

7 Posts

July 14th, 2010 09:00

I am unable to reach my desktop, not even in safe mode.  So I cannot access the start menu.  Im gonna to need to do something at system startup in order to fix the problem.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 14th, 2010 14:00

Did you read the article from Microsoft at the link in my previous post? :emotion-55:

And if that doesn't work, you'll have to do the Repair/Reinstall using your Windows CD.

Ron

No Events found!