Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 9th, 2016 20:00

Cannot Update Bios

Hi,

Been trying to update bios on an Optiplex 160, Atom 330 dual core processor, 160 gb hard drive.  Running Windows 10.  Current bios version is AO6 dated 5/11/2010.  Downloaded both newer bios versions AO8 and A10.  Neither would install.  Both generated the following error message related to WinRBU which I determined is Winstron Remote Bios Update.  The message reads as follows: "Get system information Error Open service Err #00000424:Error_Service_Does_Not_Exist"  Everything else seems to be working properly.  Windows 10 is activated.

Any suggestions?

5.2K Posts

May 9th, 2016 22:00

Why do you need to do a BIOS update? Almost never needed. Check the updates to see what they do. I really don't believe in doing them unless necessary because of a problem. I don't often do them, and am running Win 10 on 8-10 year old machines.

5 Posts

May 10th, 2016 09:00

Thanks for the response.  What you're saying is if it's not broke don't fix it.  The bios updates do not specify what they do.  A small glitch that I noticed when trying to install the OS was that file explorer hangs when trying to access a file on a USB stick.  Worked around this problem by using an external DVD drive.  I don't know the reason why the system reads a DVD but will not read a USB stick.

I was also hoping someone would shed some light on WinRBU.  I have not been able to find the purpose or whether the file resides somewhere in the system.  Have never encountered this situation on other Dell systems.  Is this only common to the Optiplex 160?

Another reason for attempting to update the bios is that Dell recommends the updates.  Also other parties highly recommend bios updates prior to installing Windows 10.

5.2K Posts

May 11th, 2016 15:00

Might try to update the driver for USB. Win 10 installs generic drivers for any thing it thinks won't be compatible with Win 10, and they may not be perfect.

I upgraded a mess of different computers to Win 10 without doing a single BIOS or Driver update. Several needed driver updates after the upgrade, mostly video or wi-fi. BIOS is Basic Input/Output System which does not need to be changed for an OS upgrade. Sometimes additional features are added in updates, such as additional processor support or modified fan control programs, or sometimes errors are corrected. These changes are documented, and if you don't need them, don't install them. A BIOS installation can fail, resulting in a new doorstop.

I wouldn't use WinRBU to install a BIOS.

5 Posts

May 11th, 2016 19:00

Have not found a USB specific driver.  Matter of fact, Dell specifies that they do not provide driver support for Windows 10 and you're right  in that the Windows generic drivers are not perfect......marginal at best.

I too have upgraded many older Dell Optiplex systems without any problems.  Including BIOS updates.

This Optiplex 160 is different in that it uses an Atom processor and SiS graphics, instead of Intel.

I did not choose to use WinRBU.  My first attempt at the BIOS update gave me the error mentioned in my initial post.  Evidently the update is looking for the WinRBU.exe file.

The system originally came with Windows Vista.   What are your thoughts in reverting to Windows Vista and attempting the BIOS update?  And then re-installing Windows 10?  The only reason for wanting to attempt this is to determine if the BIOS update might correct the USB problem and also another problem with the graphics adapter.  I tried the  graphics adapter driver update on the Dell website, and that also failed to install under Windows 10.

5 Posts

May 11th, 2016 20:00

5 Posts

May 12th, 2016 14:00

Problem solved.  My intention is to use this computer as an HTPC.  I was hoping with Windows 10, but due to the fact that there are no available drivers that work, I went back to Windows Vista Business.

Everything worked flawlessly including the Bios update.  The Bios update does use a utility named WinRBU.  I was also able to update the graphics adapter.  I can now view output at a higher resolution.

Not the latest OS but very serviceable for the purpose intended.  Now I'll have to figure out if Kodi will run under Vista.

Too bad the OEM's are not supporting Windows 10, but obviously not profitable for them.

Thanks for the responses.

No Events found!