Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2016 18:00

Cannot access both internal drives

Two identical internal hard drives are installed on my Dell Precision T3500; one using win7 and the other win10.  I setup the second drive in the earlier win10 days, when I realized upgrading to win 10 on another older computer was questionable. If I connect either drive to the SATA0 data cable, there are no problems., but if I connect the second drive to the SATA1 cable, it is not recognized.  File Explorer only displays the SATA0 drive.  Power cables are connected to both drives

Checking System>Drives>Drives:  SATA0 and 1 are turned on.  I tried turning on SATA2, but no help.  The drives are not setup for RAID operation.

I want to boot to the SATA0 drive, but be able to access data files on the SATA1 drive.  Any suggestions?   Jim

I want to access data on the other drive, and connected it to the SATA1 data cable and connected the power cable.  File Explorer only displays the SATA0 drive.  Directory Opus, an aftermarket app best described as File Explorer on steroids,  is also no help.

Checking setup>Drives>Drives,  SATA0 and 1 are turned on.  I tried turning on SATA2, but no help.  The drives are not setup for RAID operation.

Any suggestions? I would like to boot on the SATA0 drive (win10) and be able to access data files on the SATA1 (win7) drive.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 20th, 2016 11:00

What you are asking for is not supported.   Windows XP/VISTA/7/8 or windows 10 work just fine on the T3500.

Getting Data is easy Applications will have to be reinstalled from scratch.  I would suggest a new hard drive, remove the old drives and put them in usb enclosures.  This is windows not dos you cant go in and select which version of os to boot from via bios it does NOT work that way.

May 2016

Canonical has announced the arrival of Ubuntu 16.04. The new release is a long-term support (LTS) release that’s suitable for servers and enterprise customers. LTS releases are supported for five years, whereas regular releases are supported for nine months.

You could also F12 live Linux boot from DVD and see if data is still there.

159 Posts

October 20th, 2016 10:00

More info on my problem:

I used EraseUs Partition Manager to verify the second hard drive was actually operating (power applied, etc.).  Both drives are seen.

159 Posts

October 21st, 2016 01:00

I need a little more info.  If space for two drives is provided, under what circumstances can I use both?  At the present time; I cannot access the second drive, other than check it with EraseUs Partition Manager

I don't need to boot from both drives; I'll boot from drive 0 but be able to access data files from the other drive.  If the second drive does is not bootable/does not have an operating system, could I access it?

Regarding Ubuntu; years ago I took a Linux class, and Ubuntu seemed to me to be the best distro.  One reason was a book was available to bring me up to speed.  It was fun to tinker with, but everything I did required an internet search to find something to replace the windows app I was using.  Switching the hard drive back for Windows use took some head scratching;  you didn't just get your windows XP install disk and put it in the optical drive.

Jim

No Events found!