Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2009 12:00

Cannot boot to Windows Vista

I can no longer boot to Vista.  When I start my computer it goes through the BIOS POST screen, then to the RAID screen that says RAID is healthy, then reboots again and again.  This problem started after I ran bootrec.exe /FixMbr in Vista repair.  I've tried Startup Repair, bootrec.exe /fixboot, bootrec.exe /RebuildBDC with no luck.  Vista repair says I have no restore point.  Also, I cannot boot into safe mode using F8.  When I hit F8, nothing happens.  I am able to hit Ctrl-N and access RAID, which shows my two drives in a healty RAID array.

I have a XPS 720, 2.93 Ghz (overclocked to 3.2) Quad Core X6800, 32-bit Vista Premium, 3 GB RAM, two 320 GB hard drives in RAID 1 array, BIOS A06.

The RAID 1 array broke when I was working in the BIOS and reset it to factory settings.  I was still able to boot to my C: drive, but when I set the drives back to RAID configuration, I would get an error code during the boot process.   Dell suggested reseating my hard drives, but nothing changed.  After reading solutions to similar problems online, I tried to use Vista Repair to fix the problem, but after running bootrec.exe /FixMbr I ran into the continuous reboot cycle.  I tried turning off RAID and simply booting to the C: drive, but this isn't working either.

One problem I encountered using Vista Repair was that no OS would show up on the System Recovery Options screen.  The pop up window asked to install drivers, but I have no idea which drivers to install.  I'm not sure where there drivers are on the Dell drivers disk and I can't access the C: drive from that window to install drivers.  I am able to access the X: boot drive which appears to contain drivers, but again, I have no idea which drivers to install.  Do I need to install the SATA and Nvidia RAID drivers?  I see drivers for ulsata and several Nvidia RAID drivers.  I have been skipping this step and going to the next screen without selecting an OS or installing drivers.  Is this causing my problems with boot repair?

Also, when I do the command prompt and run diskpart, I only see one hard drive.  I assume this is due to RAID?

When I run Startup Repair (without selecting an OS), everything checks out as OK except it says the  "system volume is corrupt"

I suppose I could reformat and reinstall Vista, but I want to avoid that.  If I do have to reinstall, do I reinstall to the C: drive and not the D: recovery partition?  How do I get RAID working again after this?  Dell says RAID should be detected automatically but I don't know if I've messed things up so much that I need to take additional steps to restore the RAID function.

I have run diagnostics from boot menu, so I know my hard drives are in good shape.

No Responses!
No Events found!