Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2002 14:00

Cannot re-start after shutdown (Dimension 4400)

Hey dudes,

I recently bought a Dell Dimension 4400 (Windows XP):

1.7GHz P4
256MB
40GB HD
64MB nVidia graphics
CD-ROM drive (factory fitted as Master)
Sony CRX160 CD-RW (fitted by yours truly as Slave)

I have the following problem:

First time around, when I switch the machine on, it boots up just fine. I have no problems using the machine.

However, if I Shutdown or put the machine into Standby, I cannot restart the machine without waiting for around 15 minutes. If I try to re-start the machine straight away, or after just a couple of minutes, the following occurs:

- The power light goes green;
- The two CD Drives spin up with lights flashing as normal;
- The HD light comes on, but I do not hear the HD spinning up;
- There is no encouraging 'beep beep';
- Nothing appears on the screen whatsoever (monitor shows 'No Signal');
- I cannot switch off or re-boot the machine with the power switch on the front.

In the end, I have to switch the power off at the mains, wait about 15 minutes, turn the power back on and re-start the machine, and everything works fine again.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Oli

13 Posts

March 9th, 2002 23:00

I haven't been able to get my 4300 to consistantly restart in the several months that I've had it. Most of the time it does just what you describe.

If I press and hold the power button for what seems a long time, it will finally shut off. I sure wish this computer had a restart button!

22 Posts

March 11th, 2002 13:00

Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this?

I've disconnected both CD drives and tried starting up in safe mode but I always see the same behaviour...

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Oli

22 Posts

April 4th, 2002 10:00

Just in case anyone else ever has this trouble:

Dell (eventually...) replaced the motherboard in my machine and everything works just fine.

Oli

No Events found!