Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2011 14:00

Certain USB devices no longer work on my Dell Inspiron 580 desktop - likely a problem with my USB Controller Device setup? HELP!!

January 14:   My desktop is working fine.  Multiple USB devices were attached easily via plug and play.  Old Logitech keyboard.  Old Microsoft mouse.  Portable hard drives.  Also a Generation 1 MBOX device for analog-to-digital recording.

January 15:  I try to upgrade my MBOX to a second generation MBOX 2.  Lots of problems.  No matter what I do, the MBOX 2 device shows up in Device Manager as not having drivers installed.  All related installs of software/drivers don't work. 

January 20:  I try to upgrade to a 64-bit version of related MBOX/Pro Tools software.  Still the device doesn't work.  MBOX tech support guys insist that I need a USB Composite device associated with this.  I try to install one via generic drivers on my box and things get worse.  I try to reverse that, uninstalling what I installed.  Still the device doesn't work.  And ... oops.

January 20:  All of the sudden, my old Logitech keyboard stops working.  I reboot, etc.  But it won't work.  Same exact message in Device Manager.  Treats it as an Other device that lacks drivers.  I SHOULD HAVE RESTORED TO A SAFE POINT here, but I didn't.

January 20:  Eventually, I grab the Dell keyboard that came with my 580 when I bought it.  I hook it up to USB and it works fine.  Meanwhile, my old Microsoft mouse continues to work fine.  Same with other USB devices like portable hard drives.

January 30:  I buy another brand new Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse.  I plug the USB Receiver into a USB port (I've tried 'em all by the way) and .. it acts just like the old Logitech keyboard and the MBOX 2 before it.  Shows up as Other device that lacks drivers.  I physically acquire and run the setpoint 64x drivers associated with this device and it still doesn't work.  Meanwhile, the other USB devices continue to work fine.

January 30:  I restore my whole system back as far as I can go.  January 15.  Still none of these Logitech devices work.

February 4:  I plug the USB Receiver into my wife's new Dell laptop and ... it works plug and play like a charm. So it's not the hardware.

SEEMS TO ME THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH MY BASIC USB CONTROLLER DEVICES.  PERHAPS SOMETHING I CAUSED WHEN TRY TO GET THE MBOX 2 TO WORK.  Maybe I uninstalled an important generic USB device?  Maybe I do need a USB Composite device and it's now gone?

See below what I see today under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager (seems like too few devices).  Anyone out there have a similar box and can tell me what their system shows?  Anyone know what I have to do to get back to the correct, starting point USB setup on this box?  Other ideas?

Kyle

Universal Serial Bus Controller

Generic USB Hub

Generic USB Hub

Intel  (R) Series/3400 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34

Intel (R) Series/3400 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C

USB Mass Storage Device

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 4th, 2011 15:00

Hi Kyle,

This is what operating system?

4 Posts

February 4th, 2011 16:00

This is Windows 7.  Machine is 64 bit.   Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 4th, 2011 17:00

Disconnect all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard. Manually set a System Restore point, just ot be safe. :emotion-5:

Open Device Manager and expand list under USB

Right-click USB root hubs and Uninstall

Reboot and let Windows reinstall the USB drivers

See if that fixes the problem.

Ron

4 Posts

February 5th, 2011 08:00

Thought I replied last night.  :emotion-1:    I tried the Root Hub delete.  Left me in worse shape.  Neither mouse nor keyboard worked.  At that point couldn't see what changed in Device Manager.  So I restored and am now back where I was before.  No better no worse.  Was worth a try.

Sure would like to know what the standard, out of the box setup for my 580 is supposed to look like under USB Controllers in Device Manager.  Every other Dell box I look at has at least 5-7 entries (each) for Generic Hub, Root Hub and Intel chip devices.  I still have only 2.

K

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 5th, 2011 17:00

Try installing the current chipset driver.

What you are showing above is similar to my setup (not including my camera, TV tuner receiver and 7-port hub).

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 6th, 2011 16:00

You can try this:

Click Start>Run

Type in: sfc /scannow

Click OK

Insert Win 7 DVD if requested. Rebooted when it's done.

Ron

4 Posts

February 6th, 2011 17:00

Sorry.  I got tired of this 3 week odyssey.  Did a factory restore and things wound up back in order. Best I can tell, these Logitech devices all require a USB Composite controller in order to operate.  There is NOT one in the factory setup.  But during plug and play setup, one is created.  I am sure that I accidentally deleted it while trying to deal with my MBOX problems.  And for some reason, that leaves things in a state where plug in of a normally plug and play device does not trigger the USB Composite setup and therefore the device can't receive drivers normally. 

Drastic solution, but it worked.  I am back to normal.  Thanks for the attempted assist.  K

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 7th, 2011 12:00

You're not done until you go to the Microsoft update site to download and install all their updates and hot fixes. :emotion-5:

Ron

No Events found!