Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

March 18th, 2017 07:00

Changing boot drive?

I just purchased an Inspiron 3650 & added a SSD drive to it. Once I got everything like I wanted it,  I used Samsung's cloning software to clone original  drive to the SSD one. I swapped the cables on mobo where SSD drive is now plugged into 0, & original drive is in 2, but computer still tries to boot to the original HD. I can hit F12 & have the option to choose HDD!, which boots to the SSD drive. If I don't do anything, computer will try to boot from original HD & start the repair option, as I reformatted the old OS partition.

How do I fix this?

Also, one it has changed, can I update the recovery partition to restore it to the current state?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2017 08:00

Re-clone the drive and IMMEDIATELY shut down and remove the original drive.  You cannot boot the system with both the original and cloned drive installed.

Once you boot the system with the cloned drive only, you can then reconnect the original drive.

You can make a new recovery partition using Windows backup or a third party utility -- but do so to an external hard drive or other medium - NOT to the original drive.  The main reason you might need it is in case of drive failure and it won't help to have the recovery image on the drive that has failed.

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

March 18th, 2017 10:00

I'm pretty sure I had done that at one point, but regardless, I had already reformatted that partition, thinking it may have been seeing something there. I did disconnect old drive & restarted a couple of times, shut down & reconnected drive. Hit F12 when booting up & it now defaults to SSD drive shows original drive as 2nd boot option.

The original drive still shows the following partitions;

500 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition)

918 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)

450 MB Healthy (Recovery Partition)

11.35 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition)

1.07 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition)

I cannot do anything to any of them (IE Delete), other than the 918 GB Partition, that is now my data drive. Is there a way I can create an image in one of those hidden (?) partitions, so in the event of anydisaster, I can restore to this poitn in time & even update that image weekly, in the event of a disaster?

I am only using aboput 50 GB of that 250 GB SSD drive, at this point.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2017 10:00

Yes, you can make a system image using Windows backup, or a utility such as Macrium Reflect.   As above - the image should be stored on an external drive - or on the secondary drive in the system - NOT on the drive containing the operating system.

If you're using WIndows backup, there's an option that allows you to make a system image at the time of backup -- that said, Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, or any of a host of others are much easier to work with when the time comes to do a recovery.

No Events found!