Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 19th, 2011 09:00

Choosing a graphics card - HELP

Hi Everyone :emotion-1:,

First time posting.  I have a one year old Dell Inspiron 570, Windows 7 64 bit, AMD Athlon II x 4 630 processor 2.8GHz, 1TB hard drive, 8GB DDR3 ram, 430 watt power supply, intergrated video card ATI Radeon HD4200 with 256MB memory, motherboard AMD RS780/RS880 chipset.  Hopefully I did not leave anything out that you need to suggest a good graphics card.

I am totally confused with DDR2, DDR3, GDDR3,4,5, etc.  How much onboard memory is good, etc.  In other words I am totally inundated with all the choices and spec's.  That is why I am taking the easy way out and purchase a card that someone with more knowledge can recommend.  When I searched for advice on psu from many websites the best information I found was here on the Dell Community.  Asking Dell techs is not very satisfying.  

I am not a gamer, when my daughter visits she watches video's and light game playing.  I would like to keep the cost down to $75.00 max.  I have a PCI Express 2.0 x 16 slot open on the mb.  Would appreciate any advice on a good upgrade for my system?

Thank you for your help.

Boatman13 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 19th, 2011 11:00

I suggest something like this. With the rebate, it's within your budget. It has full hardware support for HD video decoding and is more than capable of moderate gaming. Your power supply is adequate.

If you have further questions, let us know.

1.5K Posts

June 19th, 2011 15:00

If you want to spend less than $75, just look at getting the ATI Radeon HD 5670 for around $60 after rebate.  GDDR5 is just the newest type of memory for video cards which is what you would want to get.  The HD 5670 has this type of memory.  They have the newer HD 6670 out, but it may be over the cost you want to spend and only be a tad better.  

2 Intern

• 

270 Posts

June 19th, 2011 19:00

the HD 5570 is also a good card and might be closer to your budget range.  It does light gaming like world of warcraft pretty good.  the HD 5670 or HD 6670 would be my first choices if it was inside the budget.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 19th, 2011 19:00

My hyperlink was modified. Click "this" now and you'll be taken to a Newegg page featuring an XFX 6570 card for $80 with free shipping and a $10 mail-in rebate. It's about even with the 5670 in performance, but is a little more modern.

3 Posts

June 19th, 2011 11:00

Did I miss something, you said something like this but did not say what this is?

3 Posts

June 20th, 2011 11:00

I am not sure how to give credit when you choose answered with one remark.  It appears all of you are on the same page with the HD5670 so I want to thank rdunnill, kelbear1 and freakmarket equally.  I will click on rdunnill last post as answered question so the post will be closed.  This is not the place to ask but I could not locate any place on the forums that explained how to set up and use your profile, etc,.  I made up a bio like rdunnill in my profile but do not know how to post it with a question.  When people post a question the additional bio info. could be very helpful to people trying to answer the question.  Where do I locate how to do things in my profile that are explained?  This is a great site and I will be using it often.

Thanks again to everyone for their help, I appreciate it very much.  

No Events found!