Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2007 23:00

Chris,   Please note that this is a repeat of my message...

Chris,

Please note that this is a repeat of my message that was deleted without anyone helping me.   I need your honest help!

COPY:

copter65
Bronze

copter65

Message 2 of 2

Viewed 16 times

Chris,

I do appreciate your attempt to help me; but it was to no avail!  You referred me to DELL-- Jimmy P.  He tried to help but was not able to do so.  He referred me to a link in Portuguese and I don't understand Portuguese!  I have met a dead end.  I sincerely believe that this problem should be taken up to the DELL computer manager team.  The reason is, that I bought my DELL Notebook XPSM1710 upon reading the information that it would use the Verizon aircard (RV640 Express Aircard) . Apparently, this is the only aircard that fits the XPSM1710.    Sprint's aircard doesn't fit, and they told me they don't have immediate plans to produce one that fits my Notebook.

Perhaps DELL can help me.  Maybe there are other aircard carriers/manufacturers that I can contact.   But I need help.  Otherwise, I will not be able to use the full potential of my Notebook with an aircard during my stay in South America.

I sincerely thank you for any help that you can provide me with.

Regards,

Copter65 

Message Edited by copter65 on 09-29-2007 07:22 AM 09-29-2007 07:10 AM

5 Posts

September 30th, 2007 01:00

Korrson,

I want to thank you for your answer.  I will do as suggested.  However, my experience in Florida has been that Brighthouse is my ISP provider, but Verizon provides the link through the Aircard.  This access is different from a WI-Fi connection.  I will appreciate any other suggestions

592 Posts

September 30th, 2007 01:00

Sorry don't mean to barge in here.
But I would try to contact the ISP you want to connect to.
The ISP dictates which network card you have to use, not Dell.

So Dell could give you a list of cards, but that is no help in finding one that will work in South America in a particular city.

Which ISP do you want to use?
Find their American office if they have one and try them first.
Or have you found a source of free WiFi in South America?
How about the hotel you will be staying at?
They may have local connection information.
Best of luck to you.

EDIT
I found your other message, it was not deleated. Dell doesn't do that.
Its best to keep them all in one post or people may miss important information
"I have plans to spend several months in South America, but the technical support people at Verizon told me that Verizon does not have a footprint there. "

Yes-- so you have to find out which ISP is in the city that you are going to.
Find the card they use. So I would contact the hotel if they are a large chain familiar with international business travel. Ask them about local options for wireless connections.

In some small cities there may be NO wireless internet or even NO broadband. You may be lucky to just get a dialup connection.

Our company does some business in Chile and Venezuela and they still use fax machines over there and often we can't even get through because all the phone lines are full. Email? In your dreams, even that is unreliable outside of large cities.

Message Edited by korrson on 09-29-2007 09:28 PM

592 Posts

September 30th, 2007 04:00

Yes in the USA you will get lots of choices.
Losts of ISPs sometimes in cities your choice of ATT, Verizon, and/ or Sprint as your network. You pay yes and its different from a WI-Fi connection.

But you will have little choice in South America especially if you're outside of a major city.
No Events found!