Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2013 09:00

Clock not keeping time

Greetings,

I have a Inspiron 530S running Vista HP OS. Two days ago the clock started to lose time. Does this indicate that I need to change the motherboard battery or could there be another cause?

If I have to change the system battery, I understand that I need to print the system setup so I can replace it after changing the battery. Please give me the steps how to do this so I get it correct.

Thanks for your help!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 15th, 2013 14:00

RayB1

Yes, replacing the motherboard battery would be the first procedure to carry out, to see if this makes a difference.

A 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell is required, this can be purchased from any Radio Shack, WalMart and most pharmacies.

As you have stated, it's best to make a note of the BIOS [System Setup, F2 on startup] settings, I find using a digital camera is the easiest way to copy the settings, otherwise you would need to write them down.

The procedures for replacing the battery, are here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-530s_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 16th, 2013 13:00

RayB1

Try going to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766042.aspx

Bev.

12 Posts

August 17th, 2013 08:00

Thank you so much! Everything is working fine!

12 Posts

August 16th, 2013 10:00

Greetings,

Thanks so much for your help. I purchased the battery, copied the setup information  and will make the change out. One more question. In the Owners manual that you provided, thanks again, it says "Then go to the Maintenance section and clear the low battery and other errors associated with the battery replacement in the Event Log." I have looked all over and can't find the Maintenance section or the Event Log. A few pages earlier it tells me to open Vista Control Panel and then open System and Maintenance. I find System but no Maintenance. Elsewhere I find references to Power Management and Maintenance. Again, nothing in the Control Panel on Power Management settings that allows me to access the Event Log.

Since you have been so very helpful can you help me take care of this last modification?

Again, thanks so much for your help!

12 Posts

August 17th, 2013 08:00

Thank you so much! Everything is working fine!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 17th, 2013 09:00

RayB1

Glad to hear the issue is resolved and the solution worked.

Bev.

No Events found!