Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2012 21:00

Computer doesn't start with new video card

I have  a Inspiron 580 desktop i5 @ 2.67GHz with a Corsair 650w PSU (http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Compatible-platforms/dp/B004LB5AZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349061482&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+650tx), and when I tried upgrading the old video card (a GT 220) to a GTX 480, it won't start, and I get 6 short beeps. When I put the old card back, it works fine (in fact, it isn't working without the old card). Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is there any incompatibility that I'm not aware of? Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 30th, 2012 23:00

According to the manual, six beeps is a video card failure. Are you sure the new video card is good?

The card may have a supplementary power connector (possibly 6 and/or 8 pins). Did you connect that connector directly to the power supply?  

1.5K Posts

October 1st, 2012 07:00

The GTX 480 will require one 6-pin and one 8-pin hook up from the power supply versus a GT 220 that does not require any.  If the correct connections are made, make sure you are uninstalling and reinstalling a new driver for the card. The Corsair should be enough for this card and have the cables you need.  

A GTX 480 goes back to the 400 series so they are getting harder to find and can generally come with a higher price tag.  The more power efficient GTX 570 or the even better new GTX 660 offer better performance over the GTX 480 with what seems to be the same cost if you bought one new at $229.  Just a thought if for some reason the GTX 480 does not work and you can return it for a GTX 660 as shown HERE.  The GTX 660 only requires one 6-pin hook up so you know it is a lot more power efficient over the older GTX 480. 

4 Posts

October 1st, 2012 11:00

Yes, I did make sure I connected the supplementary power connectors to the PSU. I'm pretty bad with computers, but not that much, lol.

I'l just have to see if the card itself works on my other machine, I should be able to do that soon, hopefully.

4 Posts

I know, I just don't have easy access to those newer cards like the GTX 660 where I am, and international shipping isn't available. I was able to find that 480 for a reasonable price though, so I bought it. I will try putting the GTX 480 on my other computer and I'll see if it works. I really don't know what could be wrong if the card itself is working.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Can you confirm you connected the supplementary power connectors to the power supply as Kelbear and I have both indicated?

If you didn't connect the card to the PSU, it's not going to work.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 1st, 2012 18:00

That's soundling like you got a bum video card... :emotion-9:

Don't wait too long to test it on a different PC before contacting the vendor about a replacement. :emotion-5:

4 Posts

October 4th, 2012 20:00

I took some time for testing today, and it turns out that the card is working fine on another, older computer with a weaker PSU. My Inspiron 580 still won't boot with the GTX 480. The computer won't boot with just the onboard video either. With the GT 220 however, it works. I'm confused. Could it be a BIOS issue, or a problem with the motherboard, or something else entirely?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 5th, 2012 11:00

Did you remove the video card when you tried using onboard video?

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode with either onboard video or the new video card?

You could try clearing BIOS.

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Install the new video card with all its connections
  6. Reinstall motherboard battery (right-side-up!)
  7. See if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                        

No Events found!