Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 23rd, 2007 22:00

Computer shuts down after windows login scree

My computer crashed and so I went online and looked up the reference material about a steady amber light and narrowed it down to the power supply or the mother board. Got a new power supply. Plugged it in and it said the processor fan didn't work. Got another processor fan that works, but now the computer shuts down after the windows log in.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

My computer stats:
System Type: Dimension 4500
Ship Date: 6/19/2002
Dell IBU: Americas
Quantity Parts # Part Description
1 4P615 ASSEMBLY, CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), DIM4500, AUDIO
1 7P462 PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.26, 512K, 533FSB, SOCKET N
1 4P608 MOUSE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 2BTN, WHEEL, OPTICAL, LOGITECH
1 7N242 KEYBOARD, 104, UNITED STATES, SILITEK, LOW COST, MIDNIGHT GRAY
1 1P930 KIT, COMPACT DISKETTE, COMPACT DISK READ WRITE, ROXIO, V5.2
1 6J118 COMPACT DISK READ WRITE, 680M, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, 24X, NEC CORPORATION, CHASSIS 2001
1 1K636 MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, PATRON, ASIA, LATIN AMERICA, NORTH AMERICA
1 8G157 DISPLAY, CATHODE-RAY TUBE, 17, DUAL, M782, MIDNIGHT GRAY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 5H175 CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, NV17, FULL HEIGHT, DIMENSION
1 1K304 FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, 3MD, NO BEZEL, TEAC, V3, CHASSIS 2001
1 9P516 HARD DRIVE, 40G, I, HALF HEIGHT, 7.2K, 40G/P, SEAGATE SNOWMASS
1 6K223 KIT, SOFTWARE, WKS-STE2K2, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 3R352 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WINDOWS XP HOME, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION, ENGLAND/ENGLISH, A02
1 3K021 CARD (CIRCUIT), NETWORK, ETHERNET, 10/100, GVC-REALTEK
1 1K696 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 512, 266M, 64X64, 8K, 184

12.7K Posts

September 23rd, 2007 23:00

Do you see your desktop before it logs off?

Issue this addresses: after selecting a user when logging into WinXP, you see the desktop (no icons) and it then immediately logs you off (with no error messages).
aka: the "logon-logoff loop"

1 - Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

2 - In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console.

3 - Type in the Administrator password to enter the Console. Sometimes leaving the password blank and hitting enter works.
*if password is unknown or not working, boot from a Win2k CD or change the password with "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor" google it. then start over with this procedure.

4 - You'll see the prompt reading c:\windows (or c:\winnt)

5 - Type the following command and press Enter: "CD SYSTEM32" (if that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)
6 - Type the following command and press Enter: "COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE"

7 - Quit Recovery Console by typing "EXIT" and restart Windows.
You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

8 - Click Start, Run and type "regedit". Navigate to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

9 - In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"
*type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes.

10 - Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

11 - Manually update and Re run your AV when you get into Windows.

85 Posts

September 24th, 2007 00:00

Thanks for the detailed info!
I'll get right on this and let you know.

Thanks again!

12.7K Posts

September 24th, 2007 23:00

The registry is corrupted so bad you cannot recover in the usual manner,

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

Connect your non-bootable hard drive to another computer, as a secondary drive and boot into windows. If you can see your data on the drive, back it up Now, then follow the rest of these instructions.

Open Windows Explorer.  Click on Tools|Folder Options|View.  Check the box beside "Show hidden files and folders".  Apply your change.

Navigate to the d:\System Volume Information folder ( d: represents the crashed drive letter).
You will see a folder named something like _restore{.........}  the dots represent an alpha-numeric sequence.
In this folder you will see folders named RP0....RPnn.  Find the one with the highest number.
These are your System Restore points.  In the highest numbered folder you will see a folder named snapshot.  In this folder are registry hive files which you need to recover your system:
_registry_user_.default
_registry_machine_security
_registry_machine_software
_registry_machine_system
_registry_machine_sam
Create a subdirectory; i.e, d:\Windows\TMP. Copy these files to the TMP subdirectory.  Rename them:
security
software
system
sam
Note:  Be sure to lose the period (.) in the file named _registry_user_.default
Delete the files in the d:\windows\system32\config subdirectory with the same names.
Copy the d:\windows\tmp files to the d:\windows\system32\config. subdirectory.
Put your drive back in its original system.  Your system should start normally.  If you get the same error go back and choose another folder ( RPnn-1) and repeat the procedure.

If this fails to work you must reinstall Windows.

85 Posts

September 24th, 2007 23:00

This is what happens.

It boots to the win xp cd,
Installs setup files,
I press R at the first screen
It starts the recovery console and ask which drive
I hit 1
It reboots
I try it again
now the screen has dots all over
I can barely register what its written, but I know what it's saying
there are lines through all the words,
it gets to asking me to pick the 1.C:\windows
I choose 1 and it reboots

12.7K Posts

September 29th, 2007 23:00

Are you sure you are looking at the sys vol folder of the crashed drive?

You will have to take ownership of that folder, here is how

Message Edited by mombodog on 09-29-2007 07:17 PM

12.7K Posts

crazy stuff, learned this procedure several months ago here on the forums. Now back up your Data!

You are welcome.

85 Posts

Thanks for all the info!
I want to get to the security tab on the system volume info folder so I can add myself as a user of this folder. However, I only have the sharing tab. How do get the security tab to show on the folder?

Thanks,

Message Edited by ms_moore on 09-29-2007 07:17 PM

85 Posts

Dude!

OMG it worked!

The computer is booting up again!
I'll give time to make sure it doesn't bsod or crash again.

Thanks so much!
No Events found!