Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2009 06:00

Computer won't power on...totally dead

Hi Everyone,

Just FYI, I'm new to this.  I have never posted anywhere.  I guess you would say I'm a blog virgin!, well...I was.  Ok, here's my problem and I know there are a lot of smart people out there who hopefully can help.

I have a Dell Dimension E5100 desktop.  On Monday, I tried to turn it on and there was a  blinking amber light on.  I pushed the power button on the front a couple of times and nothing happened.  Then the blinking amber light went away and now I have nothing.  No fan, no beeping, no lights...nothing. 

I called Dell Tech Support and was on the phone forever.  They had me disconnect the power cord and everything else plugged into the back and then hold in the power button and then just plug back in the power cord.  Nothing happened. 

They said they did not know what else to do but that they would have a technician call me within 24-48 hours.  That was Monday evening. 

I've been without my computer this whole time and am ready to pull my hair out.  I'm using a laptop to try to research while I patiently wait for Dell to call back.

So in the meantime, I opened the case and cleaned out a ton of dust which is probably not good...I don't know much about computers as you can tell.  Anyway, there is this green light on what I think is the motherboard???  That's all I have...that little green light on the inside. 

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I would greatly appreciate it.

******UPDATE*******

Just wanted to thank everyone for their great ideas and very helpful advise.  It turned out to be the power supply.  Thanks so much!

4 Posts

January 21st, 2009 07:00

Try testing the power supply  make sure it  powers on if u open ur computer and disconect to atx connector and jump two pins if it powers up mostlikely  there is something wrong with ur motherboard or the power button it self just a suggestion..

http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1

this site will show u how to jump the pins

I think you're right.  Is this common?  I haven't heard of this before now. Should I just wait for the Dell Technician to call back or do you think I should attempt anything on my own?  If I try to fix it myself, would that void my warranty with Dell?

799 Posts

Hello stillbeehaven, HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

is a link to the Dell web site that shows the explanation of the lights.

It appears you may have a motherboard issue or perhaps a power supply problem.

I suspect a faulty motherboard however.

Hope this helps.

January 21st, 2009 08:00

Thanks so much.  I'm on my way out to a funeral but I will try it when I get back.  I appreciate it!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 21st, 2009 12:00

Hi Everyone,

Just FYI, I'm new to this.  I have never posted anywhere.  I guess you would say I'm a blog virgin!, well...I was.  Ok, here's my problem and I know there are a lot of smart people out there who hopefully can help.

I have a Dell Dimension E5100 desktop.  On Monday, I tried to turn it on and there was a  blinking amber light on.  I pushed the power button on the front a couple of times and nothing happened.  Then the blinking amber light went away and now I have nothing.  No fan, no beeping, no lights...nothing. 

I called Dell Tech Support and was on the phone forever.  They had me disconnect the power cord and everything else plugged into the back and then hold in the power button and then just plug back in the power cord.  Nothing happened. 

They said they did not know what else to do but that they would have a technician call me within 24-48 hours.  That was Monday evening. 

I've been without my computer this whole time and am ready to pull my hair out.  I'm using a laptop to try to research while I patiently wait for Dell to call back.

So in the meantime, I opened the case and cleaned out a ton of dust which is probably not good...I don't know much about computers as you can tell.  Anyway, there is this green light on what I think is the motherboard???  That's all I have...that little green light on the inside. 

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I would greatly appreciate it.

stillbeehaven

A blinking Amber power button LED, can indicate either a power supply, or motherboard failure.    

If you are comfortable around computers, you could try the following to test the power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on and if power supply fan and hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes or diagnostic lights on the front panel, then it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Bev.

No Events found!