Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2014 16:00

Configuring my Dell Inspiron One 2305 to act solely as an external monitor....

I have an old Inspiron One 2305 that I would like to serve as an external monitor for my workstation. I have read several threads, and I understand that the touchscreen feature will no longer be available, and I am okay with this. 

In short, I would like simple instructions on configuring the machine to act as an external display to an OS X setup, and ideally, be able to switch it back and forth from an external monitor setup to the original windows operating system when needed (and when setting restored). -- if this is even possible...

Under device manager, the monitor is listed as "Generic PnP Monitor." If this is even possible, I know that I will need an output device, so that I may connect it to my Macbook via a DisplayPort to VGA/ DVI-D/HDMI/thunderbolt (one of the above), but what else would I require, and how would I go about doing this? 

I am not very tech savvy, but can likely follow any reasonable instructions. 

Any advice, suggestions, or recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 11th, 2014 18:00

First you have to figure out if your system has the optional video input source button on left edge of screen and the optional VGA and HDMI ports on rear of the screen. If you have that button and the ports, you can press it to cycle between VGA or HDMI input. See page 27 in manual for location of this button.

Connect the video source (eg OS X device) to either the VGA or HDMI port on rear of 2305 screen and then boot both systems. You should be able to cycle that video input source button until it accepts the signal from whichever port you connected the OS X system to on back of the screen.

That should do it...

2 Posts

November 11th, 2014 20:00

Thank you very much Ron, and I appreciate you providing the link to the manual.

Unfortunately, it appears I have neither the "video input source" button nor the optional VGA or HDMI ports, and I am only working with an ethernet and six standard USB ports. 

I believe that I can use a SmartDVI Interface, which would allow me to use a male USB, providing a DVI port, then use a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter, which would allow me to connect the two devices via an OS X thunderbolt port.

Assuming this is correct, is there any way to cycle through the six USB's to find the proper one, without the video input button? Presumably, if so, I can just follow the rest of the steps you have recommended.

Again, thank you for the help Ron. If you or anyone else has an alternative or supplemental solution, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again! 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 12th, 2014 09:00

That's a lot of adaptors to be using. Would a less complicated USB>mini-DP cable work?

I don't know if video signal coming in via USB will be able to override the internal video signal since your  AIO doesn't have the video source option.

Would you just be better off buying an external monitor?

No Events found!