Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

February 8th, 2012 00:00

Confirmed CPU support for Inspiron 570

Hi, I know there are a few threads on this topic, but i'm really looking to get the answer in a nut shell now. What are the upgrade options for a Phenom ii x4 on these machines, has anybody put any of these CPU's to the test? I've read about the 945 being a possible candidate but cannot find them for sale anywhere and if i do they are hellish expensive. Would rather go for a top end Phenom ii such as the 965/75, but to be honest i think its going to involve a board upgrade before i go down this route!

893 Posts

February 8th, 2012 02:00

Grr, I forget, all current tested by Dell processors have 95 watt max TGP or less, 965 has 125 watt TGP, I did not noticed due to my PSU upgrade...

And in regards of changing MOBO, than why keep Dell Case - get something better....

893 Posts

February 8th, 2012 02:00

Hi, I know there are a few threads on this topic, but i'm really looking to get the answer in a nut shell now. .... Phenom ii x4 on these machines, has anybody put any of these CPU's to the test? ... Would rather go for a top end Phenom ii such as the 965/75, ...

Wow. No offence, but I feel "hurt" by you not reading my posts, lol. So far there are 2 confirmations of Phenom II X4 955 working in Inspiron 570 and one confirmation of Phenom II X4 965 (which is actually mine!).

It was actually you who open the door for me to upgrade my processor from Athlon II x2 250 to Phenom II X4 965, by showing your cooling upgrade, I got similar from Rocketfish, got into headache of installation...

So you want to know what to expect? Overheat! Wait, I upgraded PSU for my Video card MSI 550 TI, which is the best for power - staying cool relation, for this you will need at least 500 watt PSU, minimum about 450 watt per MSI - The following are the minimum power requirements using a PSU with a single +12V rail.

The only problem left for me is to cool Inspiron inside - I run OCCT 4.0.0, AIDA64 2.0.1758 and Prime95 Torture test, which is the worst of them all!!! for 1 hour each to determine my next steps. With simple upgrade (of the shell cooler like you have) I was able to keep my 965 at 62 C (all 4 cores), however motherboard temperature went quickly past 81 C and I stopped the Prime95. Today I made 1 extra step. Inspiron exhaust fan is peace of garbage, at best under heavy load it did 1400 RPM only (PWM controlled, it had a range from 900 to 1450 RPM), so I changed to no name one with 2500 RPM and with 4 pin/3 pin connectors. Always get 2 connector fans - I tried to plug only 4 pin - and my MOBO was sinking that failure is imminent, so finally I plugged both connectors. Now I can see between 2500 and 2700 RPM at all times. With this in mind I run Prime95 for 1 hour using in-place large FFTs test as the maximum heat producing test of them all. My present setup was able to keep all 4 cores at 60.5 C at most, but not all the time.

Now, I need to find how to lower motherboard temperature. So far, the current under heavy load is 86 C at max. The problem of Inspiron is only 1 exhaust fan and no intake fan. You can place PCI slot fan, but I think it will affect the area between Video card and bottom of the case. I am thinking about placing 40 mm fan over heatsink above PCI express slot and see if it will do any good.

So this is the picture of our Genuine Dell 4GJJT MotherBoard for the Dell Inspiron 570 Small Mini Tower System:

The heatsink above (to the right on thid picture) PCI express is about 43 X 35 mm, so I am thinking just to place a 400 mm fan over it and run the test again, if it will provide even 5 C down I will be happy. Next after this is the most dramatic measure - making holes in the front of the PC for ventilation, as you can see I am sinking in this direction already...

1 Message

February 20th, 2012 02:00

anyone tryed a 960t yet? thats 95w and still available, just a thought

March 30th, 2012 23:00

This will be interesting. I was searching for 960t and yeah it's 95w, but it's black edition and there are 2 hidden cores. I heard some people tried six core with this MOBO and had no luck.. I am afraid to try it...lol

117 Posts

March 31st, 2012 02:00

Honestly I think everyone with a i570 should just get a Athlon X3 455 and work on the other performance components of the system. They are still readily available for under $80, cause no heat issues like the Phenom X4's can, and clock over 3200 compared to the low 4000's for the X4 chips.

I'm as likely as anyone here to go against my own advice and actually pull my 455 and install a 965 just to see where the benchmark comparison finds itself inside the exact same system- but then again I'm the guy installing a 120mm fan on the side of his tower with LED temp display and thermal fan control. In other words, only worry about the 9xx chips if you are into waaay over doing things like me. :p

March 31st, 2012 06:00

Well, I upgraded the HDD to SSD first and found my computer became snappier than before even though I suspect my SSD is defective because it shows fluctuating performance at small size file transfer. The reason I want to upgrade my CPU is possibly I may use it to do some scientific computing with C++/MPI and I may need a quad core to run my code.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

March 31st, 2012 06:00

This thread has gone off topic, see first post. So I will lock it.

No Events found!