Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2017 09:00

Connect a external microphone to rear panel

Hello,

My computer is a XPS 8920. I have a external microphone connected at the front panel, and it is working fine. Is there any way I can connect it at the rear panel ?

There are three audio jacks in the rear panel, one is occupied by speakers, and the other two is free.

Thanks.

307 Posts

August 13th, 2017 09:00

You can't remap the audio jacks and I am pretty sure the rear jacks are wired with printed circuit board traces and not wire cabling. The only solution I can think of if you want a rear panel connection is a USB microphone.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

August 12th, 2017 11:00

Hello!  According to specifications those rear connectors are just for speakers.  You can have a surround sound system connected via the back.  It looks like the front jack is the only way to connect a traditional microphone.

5 Posts

August 13th, 2017 06:00

Hmm.... Is it possible to fix it by software setting, ie, registry, remap audio jacks....,

Can I install the realtek audio manager and remap the audio jacks?

or fix it in the by the hardware cabling ?

5 Posts

August 13th, 2017 10:00

usb microphone seems to be an option. thanks for your comment.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

August 15th, 2017 17:00

Forgot about the USB option, ugh.. Glad someone brought it up!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 16th, 2017 07:00

Not only is it an option it does not require drivers.  You plug in and then set audio for the USB device and you are done.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/

Its also VERY inexpensive.

5 Posts

August 16th, 2017 08:00

The USB-Audio adapter said it support "Mono microphone-input jack".

Im not sure my microphone jack is a mono-input jack....., it looks like a stereo speaker jack

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 16th, 2017 09:00

TRRS headsets need an adapter to convert back to mono Mic and stereo headphones.

https://www.showmecables.com/iphone-head-set-breakout-cable-3-5mm-trrs-jack-to-dual-3-5mm-stereo-plug-6-ft

No Events found!