Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2014 09:00

Considering upgrading XPS 8700 with GTX 970, what PSU would be needed/& will fit in case?

To anyone who's successfully upgraded their power supply to accommodate a more power hungry GPU, what EXACT PSU did you purchase and how easy was it to install? Links to retail sites would be great.

Thanks.

30 Posts

December 15th, 2014 02:00

I personally bought a Corsair CX600M Power Supply it was 150mm so it should fit in your case.

30 Posts

December 15th, 2014 02:00

You will need at least a 550W-600W power supply. I did an upgrade on my Dell XPS 8300 from a AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series and 460W PSU.

The XPS Series is really picky on g cards.

You particularly want to buy from manufacturers that have a vbios that supports both legacy and uefi

I know for a fact that EVGA and Gigabyte GTX 970s will work with any XPS series.

This Winter After I got out of college, I bought a bunch of diff video cards to see which ones worked with the XPS series 3 out of 10 worked.

Those were the EVGA 970s and the Gigabyte 970s

23 Posts

December 15th, 2014 03:00

Hi, I just got a XPS 8700 and already digging into it to upgrade, lol. I looked at the PSU and could swear it read 380watt, I hope I'm wrong but need to look again. Is that even possible? If it is I'll def. need to change it as I have already added a 2nd sata/hdd and have a msata otw for my OS and programs. I tried to put my old Radeon 5450 2gb in the system and it just would not boot gave me black screen with cursor. I'm shopping for a better card as well. I'm a believer in asking questions first then buy but sometimes impulse gets the best of me and *** is otw. Thanks for the PSU info later poster I'll look that up for sure.

No Events found!