Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2008 00:00

Constant hissing noise from speakers

I have a Dell Precision 670. I've had it for a couple of years.

Recently, the speakers started to hiss (random noise) when nothing is playing on them. If I turn the volume knob on the speakers down, the hissing when nothing is playing becomes inaudible but the sound volume is then too low to hear properly when something is playing (iTunes, etc.).

What can I do about this?

This is a new problem. Originally, the speakers were quiet.

John Wirt 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 29th, 2008 09:00

Disconnect the speakers from the PC and then turn up the volume, if you hear the white noise (hissing) it's a problem in the speakers and they will need to be replaced. 

If it's not the speakers it could be you have the volume level too high in the PC or the last thing a bad sound card. 

9 Posts

July 29th, 2008 22:00

Clear. Sounds right. Thanks. I'll try it.

9 Posts

July 29th, 2008 22:00

Where sound the volume level be set in the PC? 75 percent of max?

I disconnected speakers and there was no hissing. I had computer volume at 100 percent.

By computer volume I presume you mean the volume control.

John 

9 Posts

July 29th, 2008 23:00

s, I turned the system volume down and now the speakers are well behaved. I still have plenty of volume control over the speakers from the speaker volume control.

Strangley, the speaker volume control is about where it was.  I don't understand this. The sound volume with the high system volume was about the same as it is now.

Anyway, I'm bakc to normal. 

John  

1 Message

August 15th, 2008 20:00

My first post.  I have constant, rapid ticking sound in the Right Speaker.  Started this morning when I turned computer on.

1 Message

August 9th, 2012 20:00

I recently bought and XPS 8500 and I got an hissing sound with my USB speakers (itune, Windows media), even if volume is down. In my case I bought a noise adapter ($0.80) for resolving my problem. I tried several soluton that I found in Internet about modified bios configuration without success. I understood that the problem raise when the power go to the USB port when for exemple I am starting wma (Windows Media) . As long time there is no music no hissing sound but when I start the music I get the hissing soung mostly when the volume is down.

I hope that Help you

No Events found!