Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

September 26th, 2008 18:00

Cpu won't boot/diagnosis issues?

After about a year and a half of owning my Dell XPS 410 it seems to have lost some of it's initial glow. Last night I went to wake it from sleep status and the mouse/keyboard would not do the trick. After booting, it was as though the monitor was not detecting input, however, the cpu was on with the LED lit both the shell AND the motherboard... After hooking it up to another monitor, it seemed that the cpu was causing the problems. So, I've been reading about possible issues in response to this problem.  It seems like a video card issue because the motherboard is working fine, however I'm new with cpu hardware and not exactly sure what the correct diagnosis is. In addition, if I boot the cpu up, it does not play the windows start theme from the speakers (which would typically happen on a normal boot) but it does make beeping noises if I try to boot it up in safe mode. If all else fails, I could take it into a tech shop, but I'd like to have a general knowledge of what could be wrong. Any suggestions/similar problems??

-not really sure of ALL the tech in the machine, although I am running a 1.8ghz processor, 2 gigs of RAM, and my video (I believe) is an Nvidia 7300 series.

14.4K Posts

September 26th, 2008 18:00

From a quick look it could be a componet, powersupply or motherboard issue.

If you are comfortable opening the system there are some steps we could provide to try and isolate it down further.

As a help do this

Press the power on Do you see the bid Dell Screen?

What is the color of the light in the middle of the powerbutton. Also does it flash or remain steady.

Are any of the Diagnostic lights on?

Do you hear the fans spinning up and the disks spinning up

September 26th, 2008 19:00

Alright thanks alot! Appreiciate the help! :) I'll let you know how everything goes.

The Dell screen does not display when booting up, the monitor right away goes into a powersave mode. This also happened with another monitor I have in the house. The light in the middle of the power button is green and remains steady. As for the diagnosis lights, they bounce around at first before all turning off. I hear the fan turn on and the discs spinning, or what seems to be basic boot up activity.

Unfortunately, the diagnosis lights go on and off so quickly it's hard to tell if it's telling me what's wrong or what that might be. When I first turn it on: 1,3,4 are lit for a few seconds, then it switch to 1 and 4 for a few seconds, 1 and 2 for a quick second, and then all shut off. Afterwards, the sound of the cpu running seems to quiet down a little bit and it remains that way, although it still appears to be running.

I'm not sure if this helps, but it doesn't seem that caps lock and num lock features are responding from the LEDs on the keyboard.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the help :)

14.4K Posts

That appears to be good news. We want the powerlight to be green an no diagnostic lights on at the end of the post process.

So what does this all mean? Sounds like your video card is bad. You should at least get the big Dell screen if the card was good. 

Of course we cannot 100% rule out the motherboard but i feel strongly the video card is dead. 

October 2nd, 2008 17:00

Davet50, thx again for the support. My new graphics card arrived yesterday and installing it fixed the problem!

14.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2008 20:00

GREAT 
No Events found!