Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2017 07:00

Creating RAID 1 on T5500 causing BSOD with 0x000...7B

Hello to all,

I have one interesting problem and I need your advice regarding the cause of the problem.

Last year I had very similar problem that was solved by sending the machine to some IT repair service and they managed to solve it.

Anyway I have a full working T5500 with two HDDs SATA. The BIOS setting is "Raid ON" and during the BIOS phase of the boot I can see Intel storage manager list with both drives marked as Non member disks.

So, the raid is not configured but the BIOS setting is set to raid. Windows 7 OS is installed on one HDD and other HDD is uninitialized.

So I have decided to configure RAID 1 myself and after research how to do that without loss of the data I have found tutorial in which Intel Rapid Storage is used.

SO I have installed IRST, reboot the machine and after Windows was up again, IRST automatically started and notified me that there is another unused drive. 

So I have created RAID 1 within Windows and IRST using few very simple steps. Like I said, all was already prepared (BIOS settings).

I have followed this tutorial: 

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln288974/how-to-create-a-raid-1-volume-within-windows-using-the-intel-rapid-storage-technology-utility?lang=en

After RAID was created, process of data coping was started and took approximately 4 hour. When I got message that data are 100% migrated, I rebooted the machine and then again BSOD during windows start 0x000..7B. This error is specific to storage drivers.

I'm really confused about this. All went good under windows and after first reboot Windows cannot start.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Thank you

P.S: Did I have to install some drivers first? 

I have noticed later that there is also Intel RST (RAID).

13 Posts

November 10th, 2017 07:00

Perhaps, I should have installed some drivers before installing Intel RST?

Later I ave found in the download section that there is also Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID). Maybe this driver (for my motherboards' chipset) should have been installed first.

There is also one more thing. IRST is installed from Administrator account and creating the RAID volume. But during the data migration I have been logged off and logged in as standard user. When data migration was finished I have rebooted machine from this standard user account.

This is driver issue, but it is very strange since I have only installed IRST and after that properly rebooted machine in order to start IRST to make RAID 1. Only last reboot (after 100% migration) was from user account.

Does this have anything to do with the problem?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 15th, 2017 10:00

Advanced Format Drives Require Intel RST 10.1.0.1008.
Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-RAID-for-Intel-5-Series-Chipset-Based-Desktop-Boards
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20104/

The Perc Requires Files that must be unzipped you cant just point to the exe file.

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00575768M/9/DRVR_SAS_Dell_PERC8-1DV4H_Win7_X64_WHQL_setup_ZPE.exe

Dell PERC H310/H710P Adapter for Precision Workstations

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 15th, 2017 10:00

STOP 7B means you havent pointed to the F6 Mass Storage Drivers.

No Events found!