Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2003 13:00

Creative Media Source not working

Dell 4550 with Soundblaster audigy 2 preinstalled

Creative Media Source player was working at first, then it stopped recording from the input source. Instead of recording it would play whatever was in the library. I then downloaded and installed the update for Creative  Media Source from the Creative website but it still remained the same. Then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling just the Creative Media Source software from the Soundblaster Audigy 2 CD that came with my Dell. It did not work.

Now when I try to open it I get this message: "Unable to load the Theme Engine".  When I try to uninstall it again from the add/remove programs I get this message: 'An installaton support file could not be installed.  The system cannot find the file specified". So I am unable to uninstall it. I tried reinstalling it anyway, but nothing changes.

Can anyone advise me how to get Creative Media Source reinstalled properly and to work? Thank you

2.2K Posts

November 6th, 2003 15:00

Boot into Safe Mode <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>, and then try removing all software associated with the Creative Labs sound card. Then, Click Start | (Settings) | Control Panel | System, click the Hardware tab, and click the Device Manager button. Under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers, if any Creative or Sound Blaster items are listed, remove them.

Reboot the system normally, and try reinstalling the software at this point.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2003 22:00

Thank you  very much Cody.  With your instructions and also removing the Creative folder from software in the registry, I was finally able to reinstall everything.  It took about 3-4 reinstallations (I kept getting different error messages).I can now record from my tape player and all is working quite well.  Thanks again.
No Events found!