Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2017 14:00

Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 SSD works in XPS 8900

There is little information about what works in these M.2 slots, so I thought I would share my experience.

I just purchased a Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB SSD and installed it in my i7 XPS 8900 desktop system. It does work, and it came with 2 screws. I think the screws are both the same size, and the first one I tried fit! Once formatted, it shows as 489GB.

This drive is M and B-keyed. Also, it came with an activation code for Acronis True Image HD software.

I already installed a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" drive for my boot drive and cloned the 1TB Seagate disk over and then upgraded to Windows 10.

I paid $165 + tax for the Samsung drive from Micro Center. I paid $108 + tax for the Crucial drive from Best Buy. I know the Crucial drive is not going to offer as much performance or longevity, but it was a tradeoff.

I use this system for processing pictures (photography hobby) with Light Room & Photoshop and video. It also hosts my music library. I have a 2 TB WDC drive for long term storage. I also have an external backup drive and Carbonite subscription.

-Tony

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 06:00

There is a reason why the MX300 is soooo cheap.

It uses Micron 3D TLC NAND.

SLC  100,000 1 bit per cell writes,   MLC 10,000 Writes 2 bits per cell,   TLC 1000 Writes then death.

TLC is also slower because it has 3 voltage levels per bit.

Durability is Lowest with TLC

Speed is SLOWEST with TLC.

(TLC) NAND has the highest cell density, but the lowest performance and endurance specifications.

https://www.micron.com/products/nand-flash/tlc-nand

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 07:00

I never said that the Crucial MX300 was the best. It comes with a 3 year warranty and is not a slouch. People can read how it compares with the competition here:

www.tomshardware.com/.../crucial-mx300-ssd-review,4723-2.html

My intent was to post about a user experience. You don't have to agree wi my choice.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 08:00

I don't think any manufacturer wants you to see the numbers though.

SLC - 100k (34nm)

MLC - 10k (34nm)

MLC - 5k (25nm)

MLC - 3k (~20nm)

TLC - 1k (~20nm)

I've seen claims that the MLC would give 30 years of life from the 10k writes so  1k writes to death

means 3 years.  Hmm do I want to be buying my drives every 3 years or less?

Especially with streaming games that routinely update gigs of data like World of Warcraft.

I guess we will have to wait for the death reports to start rolling in.

3 Posts

January 25th, 2017 06:00

30 year life? Seriously? I've been building and upgrading PCs for the past 22 years, and never had a component that I wanted to keep 30 years! Technology moves so fast, that I'll be upgrading everything every 3 to 5 years. Your point is moot. I was not soliciting approval from users about my setup. I was just sharing what I found to work.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 25th, 2017 07:00

Opinions are not the same as facts. 30 years is not long. Linux goes back further than DOS due to its AT&T system 5 roots on PDP8 and PDP11.  TLC has 10 to 100 x less endurance than SLC or MLC.  3 Years can easily be eaten up by a streaming movie or game because of thousands of writes.  An error in windows that writes an error log every second to the hard drive in the background can easily write a drive to death.

That's 86,400 writes a day.

Command and Control and automation systems tend to go MORE THAN 30 years. I routinely help customers that have MSDOS Lighting and Elevator control systems.  MSDOS was formalized in 1981.

There are also point of sale systems and other devices that use Parallel printer ports and dot matrix printers.  Banking and Security systems tend to fall into that category as well.

Legacy ports like RS-232 are still quite common.  The current version of the standard is TIA-232-F Interface Between Data Terminal Equipment and Data Circuit-Terminating Equipment Employing Serial Binary Data Interchange was issued in 1997 but the standard goes back to 1962.  Many DELL and  Cisco switches / Routers use RS232

http://sine.ni.com/psp/app/doc/p/id/psp-655/lang/en

IEE 488 ports go wayy back as well aka Parallel ports.An IEEE 1284 36-pin  Centronics port.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/14341

In the 1970s, Centronics developed the now-familiar printer parallel port that soon became a de facto standard.  National instruments still uses this for lab equipment.

No Events found!