Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2008 19:00

Customer Service.....Disappointment

I recently ordered an XPS 730, and spent over $2500.  The cheapest component was the mouse, which I spent $15 to upgrade to a Logitech G5.  When I got the order, no G5.  So I thought, no problem, I'll just call Dell.

Then I was told the G5 is not in stock.  So, they could refund my $15.  I pointed out that the XPS 730 is still being sold today on Dell's web site with the G5 as an available option.  The G5 is also being sold by Dell as an individual product: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1277831

No, doesn't matter, I was told.  All I could get is a $15 refund.  When I pointed out that I hadn't even received the Dell Premium mouse that is the base item for the XPS 730, I was told that option disappeared when I selected the G5.

So, after spending over $2500 I'm left with a pretty bad feeling about how Dell treats its customers.

Is this a typical customer service experience with Dell?  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else on the forum about their experience, good or bad. 

October 23rd, 2008 20:00

Did you just try talking to one person?  If so call back and ask another person.  For some odd reason, different people yield different results. 

I for one had an absolutely horrible experience with my XPS 730 :

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&message.id=79211&query.id=79143#M79211

Luckily for me my story had a very happy ending though.  Persistance pays off.  Eventually you will get someone that can help you.  You can try requesting to talk to a supervisor or manager as well (which can be a pain to do sometimes :smileymad:  ) 

I wish the best for you though, paying the price for a 730 should result in happiness not customer service horror stories.

213 Posts

October 24th, 2008 06:00

Question: Did you get the XPS mouse pad though?

The Elusive XPS mouse pad 

October 24th, 2008 08:00

I always see people bring up the XPS mouse pad. Is the mouse pad really bad or something? 

Anyway I had some problems with the customer service like them not replying to my e-mails and me left wondering what  was going on with my XPS 630 I had no idea if it was being built or not even if I checked the order status online. Eventually I got some answers. They were low on parts so I got delayed Maybe they didn't have enough 9800GTs

213 Posts

October 24th, 2008 08:00

Most systems come with mouse pads, but this Dell XPS did not. I guess that only media and hardware reviewers get such perks.

October 24th, 2008 12:00

I got the mouse pad, a really nice leather cd case for all of my system disk, XPS cable ties, and a XPS monitor cleaning cloth.   I don't think you are missing much with the mouse pad though, I found it very uncomfortable.  The metal edges look nice but are not practical.  All the other goodies were nice little extras though.

213 Posts

October 24th, 2008 18:00

@BurntReality wrote:
I got the mouse pad, a really nice leather cd case for all of my system disk, XPS cable ties, and a XPS monitor cleaning cloth.   I don't think you are missing much with the mouse pad though, I found it very uncomfortable.  The metal edges look nice but are not practical.  All the other goodies were nice little extras though.

Wow! I got... CDs in paper holders, a keyboard (no software, drivers, buttons that don't work as intended), a manual, a rather big box with a black cloth-like cover, and an optical USB mouse. Guess they saw me coming... :smileyindifferent:

258 Posts

October 24th, 2008 23:00

@BurntReality wrote:

I got the same package of goodies in my XPS420 plus some Creative "Noise-isolating earphones" in an XPS pouch with a string closure.  Life is good!

313 Posts

October 26th, 2008 20:00

I got the mousemat, the leather-bind, a monitor cleaning cloth, cable ties, a breifcase,a poster, some srcewdrivers,a hat, a 2 in 1 pen (laser & pen) and some nice turtle beach headphones, which was great, ashame Dell are cutting back on the freebies.

475 Posts

October 27th, 2008 04:00

Newbie,

I got the leather case, mousepad, cleaning cloth, lots of installation discs and an LOTR online game.

But back to your original question:

Is this a typical customer service experience with Dell?  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else on the forum about their experience, good or bad. 

In my experience with Dell TS, and CS... Yes! Trust me when I say that you should take the $15 refund and go buy one retail. The aggravation you will be forced to endure to get what you paid for will not be worth it. Sad but true, and Dell CS does not seem interested in making it easy when Dell is at fault either. I am sure that if you invest 4 to 10 hours of your time in Chats and phone calls with Dell customer support, you will get a G5 sent out. If you think that is worth it, do that.

November 15th, 2008 14:00

Yes, the customer no-service is that bad.  After 3 weeks of customer-no service I have just filed a complaint with the BBB and my credit card company.  I ordered a camera  with a $100  Dell gift card leaving a balance of $38.00 to be applied to my credit card.  I received a receipt showing the gift card was accepted, however, they charged the entire amount to my credit card.  Of course, I didn't find this out until weeks later when I got the statement.  They refuse to reverse the charged and even said it was my fault because American Express authorized the amount.  Crazy, how was AE suppose to know it was the incorrect amount.  Today,

Myna Subbaiah

Executive Support Resolver

Global Escalation Management Team

informed me I should just reuse the gift card and buy something else since they would not be able to offer my any other option.  Trust me, Dell doesn't care.  They are no longer the company they used to be. 

31 Posts

November 15th, 2008 18:00

Indeed they aren't.  I ordered a XPS 730 H2C, the most expensive consumer desktop they make.  No love there.  At the time the Stealth Blue case was clearly advertised on the info page as getting the X-view panel standard.  The picture on the configuration page while ordering even showed it.  Apparently, it was not to be included.  Tried dell community forums, where Chris-M gave it a sporting try, called CS and even tried to get resolution from Tech support during several of my SERVICE CALLS on this system.  3 - 4 months old and already have gone though 2 MB's, 2 MCB I/O boards, both Vid cards and an SLI bridge.  Not to mention 2 factory image restores and over 2 dozen hours on the phone already.  After all that you think they would send the X-view as an apology.  Its simple, Dell only gives a *** about you within the 21-Day return policy.  After that, they screw you and know you can't do anything about it.   I submitted my issue to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and have been told to give dell a chance to resolve.  I've given them plenty as asked.  Maybe I should add BBB to the mix too.

After 21 days, you are just toilet paper, even if you have $18,000 worth of dell product in the house, you mean nothing to them.

141 Posts

November 15th, 2008 22:00

Customer 12345,

Please contact me in a private conversation.
* Under any of my post, click Contact
* Click Start a conversation with Chris_Mixon
* Include a short request in the Subject line
* Include the following -
Name:
Shipping address:
Phone:
Service tag number:
Email Address:
Full Request:

31 Posts

November 19th, 2008 14:00

Well, an update:

The X-view panel issue was resolved.  I would like to thank Chris_M for getting it handled.  The system is complete, functional and happy.  I am satisfied now that this is all worked out. 

1 Message

December 10th, 2008 21:00

Gee I wish I had seen this thread before bying my laptop. I have had my Studio 1737 for not quite two weeks now and I have spent the last week on the phone trying to get customer service to send someone to fix my $2000 paperweight. Straight out of the box the power button does not work, no responce at all. I managed to get the thing to boot by pressing the Dell media button wich boots the computer and opens the media centre but tats the only way. Even once its on the power button still does nothing, the default setting I think if you press the power button is to send the computer to sleep unless you hold the button down and force it to shut down but it wont even do this. also it wont shutdown correctly, and wont wake from being put to sleep without agian pressing the dell media button.

I have spent aproximately 6 hours on hold with Dell CS and keep getting bounced around different operators who ask the same *** questions but actualy do nothing, that is of course on the occasions they done just hang up. On the last call I had with one of the call center people I actualy got one that spoke reasonable english and explianed the problem for the dozenth time, at which point he said he was refering my case to a higher level technitian or something to that affect and that they would ring me back within a few hours. but a call back has been the promise for the last 4 days so Im not expecting them to ring. Even when they do call its only to try and arrange a tecnitian to come and repair/replace the power button

I Have had enough already with this ordeal and just want to return the *** thing but I suppose they wont even let me do that!

The next day onsite service that I payed for in the price is not woth 2c if the call never gets through.

Has anyone got any suggestions or tips for getting someone that can actualy provide the service that Dell say they will provide?

Feeling very ripped off

2kpaperweight.

1 Message

December 10th, 2008 21:00

I have NEVER experienced such bad customer service as I did today! On Thanksgiving I took advantage of a pre-Black Friday sale Dell had offered on a Garmin Navigation System. I could have went with any of Dell's competitors' offers, but I thought that Dell was a reliable source. Boy, was I WRONG!!! The following week I received an email stating that there was going to be a delay with my order. At the time I understood the delay and figured that I would still receive my order in time for Christmas. This past Monday, I received another email that my order was going to be further delayed and that I needed to contact Dell to continue the order. On Tuesday night I tried to calling the 1-800 phone number provided in the email. I was redirected to a voicemail where I explained why I was calling and provided my phone number so that a representative could contact me. When my phone call was not returned today (Wednesday) I tried calling Dell again. This is when I learned that my order was CANCELLED!! I was transfered around from one rep to another (honestly, six different people). Along the way one representative had the nerve to tell me that I did not respond to thier email in a "timely manner". He said that I could have "replied to the email to avoid my order being cancelled". I asked to speak with a manager, where I was just transfered to another customer service representative who told me that my order was cancelled, they did not expect to get any more in time for Christmas, I would not be compensated in anyway for the inconvienence, BUT she could transfer me to a sales rep. who "could inform me of other navigation systems Dell had to offer at a holiday price." I asked her, why after such a horrible experience I would want to purchase another product through Dell??? That was the end of our conversation and I have just purchased the same product from Best Buy for the same price AND receieved a free $10 gift certificate with my purchase!

The moral of the story: I will NEVER make another purchase from Dell. Buy at your own risk!

No Events found!