Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 11th, 2014 12:00

DELL DIMENSION 9200

I WAS GIVEN THIS  COMPUTER BY A FRIEND AND IT SUPPOSEDLY WS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER.  THE SCREEN BEGAN LOCKING UP ALMOST IMMEDIATELY,  BUT I HAVE JUST WORKED WITH THAT.  DON'T KNOW IF IT MY OPERATING SYSTEM  WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION OR PERHAPS MY INTERNET.  I HAVE A SET OF DISCS BUT I REALLY DON'T KNOW MUCH.  MY WINDOWS WILL NOT BOOT UP AND I HAVE TRIED ALL OF MY KNOWN SUGGESTIONS AND IT STILL DOES NOT WORK. 

WHERE WOULD OR COULD I FIND A DOCUMENT TELLING ME HOW TO UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL THIS SYSTEM, AND HOW I WOULD KNOW WHAT DISCS THAT I NEED.  I AM NEW AT THIS AND HAVE LOST ALL OF MY SMART FRIENDS FOR CONNECTIONS TO HELP.  

COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME POINTERS ON WHAT I NEED TO DO.

I WAS MOVING THE COMPUTER , TURNED IT OFF AND IT HAS NOT REBOOTED SINCE,  KEEPS TELLING ME TO UNINSTALL EVERYTHING,  I HAVE UNPLUGGED EVERTHING UT MY MOUSE AND KEYBOARD 

PLEASE  HELP

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 11th, 2014 13:00

jeanjean32

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or off?

Are there any 'Beeps'?

Check the reading of Diagnostic Lights on the front panel?

The Dimension 9200 owners manual with the Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, is here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-9200_service%20manual_en-us.pdf       

Regards to a clean manual reinstall of XP, you will need the Dell OEM XP reinstallation discs.  

The procedures for this can be found here:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&docid=52182

As of April 8th 2014 Microsoft has ended all support and updates for XP, it would be advisable to upgrade the operating system to Windows 7

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/xp/default.aspx?SEMID=1&WT.srch=1&ocid=XPEOS_SEM_google_FAM_WINDOWS_BRAND_NULL_LEARN_xp%20end%20of%20life&wt.mc_id=XPEOS_SEM_google_FAM_WINDOWS_BRAND_NULL_LEARN_xp%20end%20of%20life

Bev.

Ps. Please don't use CAPS, these imply you are shouting.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

May 11th, 2014 15:00

Follow the instructions here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

XP is at End of Life so you should consider migrating to Windows 7 or 8.1 64 Bit (Windows 7 recommended) drivers are here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/driver-sets/dimension-desktops/dimension-9200-windows-7-64-bit/

If you decide to stick with Windows XP use the legacy Windows XP Reinstallation Guide but note you are at risk using XP.

Before installing Windows it is advisable to run full F12 preboot system diagnostics see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/f12-preboot-diagnostics/

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 11th, 2014 22:00

There might be a hardware issue. I suggest cleaning out the chassis innards with a can of compressed air and maybe a vacuum cleaner, and reseating the memory. Also look for bulging capacitors

I was once tasked with fixing a slow Dimension 5150 (similar to your model) that locked up frequently; it turned out to be the power supply. I installed a generic aftermarket unit and all was well; however, that may not be your problem.

11 Posts

May 14th, 2014 08:00

One "FREE"  way to ensure your hardware is working is to boot up using  a free linux LIVE CD.

Most every version of Linux now offers a "LIVE CD" version of their operating system. It lets you boot from Linux disc in your CD/DVD drive and actually "Test drive" that particular  Linux operating system.  Also great to test your PC's hardware.:emotion-11:

I'd try to boot up using  a LIVE CD, via your CD/DVD drive.

(Or if you know how to build it, you could create a USB flash drive that acts like a bootable LIVE CD as well).

1. To use a Live CD, just place disc in CD/DVD drive and power ON your PC.

2. When the PC first powers up, and you see the DELL banner, start hitting the "F12" key and you should see a ONE TIME BOOT MENU.

Use arrow keys to go up or down, to select the CD/DVD drive as the "one-time boot up device"

[Note: Most anti-virus "Rescue CDs" use some type of linux LIVE CD for booting your windows system so that they can anti-virus scan it. So LIVE CDs are in use most everywhere, in one form or another.]

Knoppix is one of the earlier  operating systems to offer a Live CD.

If someone you know who can download a Live CD "ISO file" for knoppix and burn it to a CD, it becomes a boot-able operating system. But because it boots from the CD/DVD drive it takes a few minutes  before you reach a window-type of GUI interface.

Once a LIVE CD is completely booted up, you have a window-like GUI with a functional OS and internet browser.

1. If you can boot into linux, launch IE or firefox and surf the net, most likely the hardware is fine.

2. If you cannot even boot up on, and load the LIVE CD operating system, then you probably have hardware issues.

11 Posts

May 14th, 2014 09:00

As another person mentioned, it could be your power supply.

I support 100's of dell optiplex's and dozens of servers.

The optiplex's now come with only TWO open (available) power cionnectors on their power supply.

Totally opposiite of what most any "commercial off the shelf " (COTS) , power supplies offer.

COTS power supplies are what you can buy at newegg, amazon, tigerdirect, etc.

Most offer:

- 4 molex connectors  (for older CD/DVD drives and PATA/IDE hard drives)

- 1 or 2 mini molex (for old 3.5" floppy or add-in hubs like a 4-port USB that fits in a drive bay)

- 8 SATA connector (for newer CD/DVD drives plus hard drives and SSD drives.

- PCI-E ( between 2 to 4 cables, for those power hungry video cards)

-ATX 24 pin cable (for motherboard)

- 12VDC (2 x 4-pin connectors that can combined into a single 8-pin connector, for secondary  motherboard power)

I recently had to upgrade almost 20 dell workstation computers, as their oem power supplies could NOT supply enough power to support all the USB devices being used. Devices would stop being recognized by windows. End users had to un-plug & replug-in USB devices constantly, in order for windows to re-detect them and the device to become usable again.

After installing 500 to 650 watt COTS power supplies, every USB device worked normal. Every USB device quickly was detected by windows upon insertion.

NOTE: If you decide to replace your dell power supply, you should remove it and measure it carefully.

A recent problem I ran into:  I needed to replace a power supply on an optiplex 7010 mid tower. My first power supply would not fit without hitting the side panel lock latch. Turned out it was 6.5" deep.

So the side panel door would not lock into place.

I measured the dell oem power supply and found I needed a 5.5" deep maximum, power supply. Had to review the SPECs at newegg on several potential power supply replacement candidates; but finally found a few power supply candidates that were 5.5" deep or less. Bought one and it fit just fine.

No Events found!