Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2013 14:00

DELL Dimension 2400 UPGRADES (DVD DRIVE & HDD)

K I have been upgrading a old dell dimension 2400 I got for free so its all good for now because I am bulding my own PC and ren short of cash 4 a bit

on that!! So the 2400 is gonna be my PC for a bit. I have upgraded the RAM to 2GB I have Upgraded the GPU to a READON 9250 and I have a P4 CPU on the way that I baught from eBay.

Now my next move for this is to get a better HDD its tiny iv only got 40gb of space lol in dis days world 40GB is nothing. Can anyone help me out on what tyep of HDD I need to get for the 2400? If I can only have one or can I have two??

2nd thing... I have <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> CD-ROM drive in there and I want a DVD Drive (As long as it will read DVDs I will be happy I have a external for burning would be better to buy a DVD Drive that reads and burns do) so any one got some help on what drive will fit my 2400? :-)

Thanks all... Well glad I joined dell forums :-)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 9th, 2013 15:00

Ricey83

You can install any size of IDE 3.5", 7200rpm hard drive, providing you are using XP SP1, or higher. The maximum IDE hard drive size available is 750GB.

The Dimension 2400 supports two hard drives.

You will need the bracket for the additional hard drive and a three connector IDE ribbon cable.

Dimension 2400 second hard drive installation.

You can buy a Dell OEM bracket @ $7.99 from HERE

There are no instructions for installing a second IDE/EIDE hard drive in a D-2400, but as the Dimension 4600 has the same chassis, you can use the D-4600 instructions for the physical installation.

Set the second hard drive's jumpers to "Cable Select" and connect it to the middle connector on the cable.

How to install the HARD DRIVE.

After installing the drive, enter the setup and check that the hard drive is set to Auto [on].

To enter the setup, tap the F2 key after a restart of the computer.

Use XP's disk management to partition and format the drive.

You need an IDE DVD/RW optical drive, similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Internal-CD-RW-DVD-ROM-TS-H492/dp/B002EAAS8S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dvd-rw-ide-desktop

Remember to set the IDE drive's 'Jumpers' to 'Cable Select' [CS]

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 11th, 2013 06:00

Hi Ricey 83,

Let me strongly recommend Ebay for all of your upgrades, hard drive, DVD burner, etc. You can get everything you need for under $50. Given that the 2400 isn't worth more than about $25, Ebay is the way to go.

Alternatively, for $100-150, you can get a much newer used PC with Windows 7 that will run circles around the 2400.

October 31st, 2013 15:00

On the gpu did you have to upgrade the power supply? i have to dell dimensions i got for 30. took parts form one to beef up the other. i just cant seem to find a good GPU that wont need me to upgrade the power supply. i heard you cant do that because the mobo can only handle the stock power supply. im gonna build and beef both of my 2400's up to max as pratice builds before moving on to bigger and better hardware. i just need to know of a GPU that will work in a 2400 and a hdd that will work without needing to up the power supply unless the motherboard can handle it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 31st, 2013 15:00

On the gpu did you have to upgrade the power supply? i have to dell dimensions i got for 30. took parts form one to beef up the other. i just cant seem to find a good GPU that wont need me to upgrade the power supply. i heard you cant do that because the mobo can only handle the stock power supply. im gonna build and beef both of my 2400's up to max as pratice builds before moving on to bigger and better hardware. i just need to know of a GPU that will work in a 2400 and a hdd that will work without needing to up the power supply unless the motherboard can handle it.

limpskillet

Assuming that you have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 250w power supply.

The following PCI video cards will work fine with the default 250w power supply:

Regards to the hard drive, you can install any IDE internal 3.5" hard drive, up to 750GB in size, without replacing the 250w PSU.

Bev.

October 31st, 2013 23:00

it only has a 200w PSU I found 250w ones online cheapest is 18.00 if I upgrade to will the mobo handle it? I don't want to fry it if it will work then w\hat would the max PSU that can be out in it. I don't plan on doing it but I want to know for future reference. also the desktop im doing first had a curved side panel that comes off to get inside of it. the other has a square one but a 2400 faceplate. does that mean its not a 2400 series? or did they have different side cover styles.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 1st, 2013 07:00

it only has a 200w PSU I found 250w ones online cheapest is 18.00 if I upgrade to will the mobo handle it? I don't want to fry it if it will work then w\hat would the max PSU that can be out in it. I don't plan on doing it but I want to know for future reference. also the desktop im doing first had a curved side panel that comes off to get inside of it. the other has a square one but a 2400 faceplate. does that mean its not a 2400 series? or did they have different side cover styles.

limpskillet

Yes, the motherboard will 'handle' the 240w power supply, Dell shipped the Dimension 2400 with either a 200w, or a 250w PSU.

There are no limits to the power supply's wattage, providing the ATX PSU is compatible regards to the physical size and form factor, supported by the Dimension 2400.

The computer will only draw from the power supply the wattage it requires and will not effect the motherboard.
Regards to the items in bold print, I have no idea if the Dimension 2400 has different access side panels, the units I have seen have the square panel, with a slight curve on one side, there are several other Dell desktop computers that share the same Mitac chassis as the Dimension 2400. [eg 4600, B110/1100, 3000, 2350, 2300].

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-2400_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

November 4th, 2013 12:00

also the gpu you posted for me is 64 bit and my dimension is 32 bit. will that effect the gpu badly?

Ok well the side panel falls off very easy its like it doesn't even fit and the people had to duct tape the thing down. opening up both computers revealed that they are 100% identical. unless there is another stamp somewhere that says what the model is that cant be removed unless you peal it off i am assuming someone broke the old curved plate and stuck that one on since it doesn't even fit and all the prongs are in good shape just don't line up. also side note i see you on here a lot and your epic with computers. i bought 2 of the cpu's i need for them and hope they arrive soon. i just have two more questions. when installing a new gpu you have to disable the old one first but when you do that wont the screen go blank and if so does shutting it off then installing the new one via the disk that will come with it auto switch to the new gpu or do i have to mess with that in the bios? and second i will be putting a bigger hdd but dont have win xp install disk but i do have two hdds with it installed on there, will doing a copy paste method from one of them to the new one mean that win xp will be installed on the bigger one and i wont have any problems booting up with just the bigger one in the computer? (by copy paste i mean backing up old on on new one) or will i have to do it a different way or find a win xp disk?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

also the gpu you posted for me is 64 bit and my dimension is 32 bit. will that effect the gpu badly?

limpskillet

No, It will not effect the video card [GPU].

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 4th, 2013 13:00

Ok well the side panel falls off very easy its like it doesn't even fit and the people had to duct tape the thing down. opening up both computers revealed that they are 100% identical. unless there is another stamp somewhere that says what the model is that cant be removed unless you peal it off i am assuming someone broke the old curved plate and stuck that one on since it doesn't even fit and all the prongs are in good shape just don't line up. also side note i see you on here a lot and your epic with computers. i bought 2 of the cpu's i need for them and hope they arrive soon. i just have two more questions. when installing a new gpu you have to disable the old one first but when you do that wont the screen go blank and if so does shutting it off then installing the new one via the disk that will come with it auto switch to the new gpu or do i have to mess with that in the bios? and second i will be putting a bigger hdd but dont have win xp install disk but i do have two hdds with it installed on there, will doing a copy paste method from one of them to the new one mean that win xp will be installed on the bigger one and i wont have any problems booting up with just the bigger one in the computer? (by copy paste i mean backing up old on on new one) or will i have to do it a different way or find a win xp disk?

limpskillet

Regards to "when installing a new gpu you have to disable the old one", if you have an exsisting PCI video card installed, prior to installing the new card, you need to remove it, together with video drivers.

After installing the new video, you will need to load the new video drivers. 

Instructions and drivers for installing the new card should be included in the video card's box.

If you are using the integrated [on board] graphics, you will need to check it is disabled, in the system setup [BIOS].

The following post may also, be worth a read:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/8244525/19816755.aspx#19816755

The easy method, is to clone the primary hard drive that's already installed in the Dimension 2400 to the new IDE hard drive, using an imaging utility, eg Acronis True Image.

Seagate and Western Digital hard drives have a free copy of Acronis, that is included in their retail boxed drives or can be downloaded together with the instructions from their sites for use with their OEM hard drives.

This copy of Acronis can only be used with their hard drives, you will also find that other hard drive manufacturers have their own free cloning software available. 

First, install the new drive as the secondary, followed imaging the exsisting primary hard drive to it.

If you are unable to clone the hard drive, you would need to perform a clean reinstall of windows, for this you will need the reinstallation disc.

Please be aware, that support by Microsoft for XP will end in less than 6 months.

Bev.

November 15th, 2013 14:00

quick question will the gpu in the following link work in a dell dimension c521 with the standerd power supply since they are underrated and the the gpu minimum is overrated 

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-512-P3-N944-LR-GeForce-512MB-Graphics/dp/B001EHAHBU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1384553472&sr=1-1

doing a third build now and gonna give it 3.5 gb of ram so the gpu added in makes it 4 or does that matter ie. i can give it 4gb and the gpu doesnt count towards that?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 15th, 2013 17:00

limpskillet

No, the EVGA 512-P3-N944-LR GeForce 9400 GT shown in your link, is a full profile card, the c521 compact chassis requires a low profile card.

Plus the c521 has a 280w PSU, that may be marginal for the GeForce 9400 GT.

Bev.

No Events found!