Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2010 09:00

DELL Dimension 3000 Motherboard Identification

DELL Dimension 3000 - Motherboard Problems שלום, I'm helping a friend. She has a DELL Dimension 3000, it's service tag is. Symptoms: When it starts up and/or restarts it stops at different points in the boot process... sometime the HD light is solid green, sometimes it doesn't even get a chance to start... It starts up fine, intermittently, appearing like the long you wait the more likely your chances of it starting up normally... This acts to me like something, somewhere is trying to cool down... and if it cools down enough it will start/restart fine... Cheap attempt at repair: I've replaced the HD. This did not help, it's still doing the same thing... Next step: (I think) replace the motherboard... but, I can't figure out exactly what type of motherboard I need to buy to replace it with... I've replaced many, many motherboards in my lifetime... but, I've made a few mistakes before... So, I'm looking for a little help to make certain that I get it right the first time... My question basically is, which motherboards do they make for this thing and which one do I need for this computer... I will appreciate any help that anyone can offer me...

17 Posts

September 15th, 2010 20:00

I spoke with the guy selling that MB, his store is in Austin, Texas... He checked for me and said that there is only one form factor for the Dimension 3000... that should mean that there is one model of MB out there for this computer... so, a cheap one off ebay, as long as it's from a top-rated seller, should work just find... right???

BTW, thanks for all the great responses... I really appreciate it... you guys are the best... תודה, Dan

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 29th, 2010 19:00

Good point on the front panel connector, Ron.  Although they can be physically the same, the wiring can vary from model to model.  I don't know specifically about a 3000/4600 and it would have to be manually traced out to verify. 

I just received the Dimension 3000 case I bought on eBay and can now confirm that the mainboard is standard micro-ATX, as I put in a Foxconn Athlon 64 board and IO shield and everything lines up. I haven't hooked up the wiring yet, but the front panel LEDs and power switch wiring is arranged in standard format and the ten-pin socket should slip on to a standard front panel header. The USB socket appears the same. I will confirm later.The audio connector is of the Soundblaster type and slips into the front panel socket of a Soundblaster card, as was the case with the 4550 I pieced together from parts.

My question basically is, which motherboards do they make for this thing and which one do I need for this computerI
The answer seems that just about any standard micro-ATX board will work.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 15th, 2010 09:00

The motherboard is a Dell Custom OEM board and not equivalent to any standard motherboard.  It also has a Dell custom and undocumented front panel connector.  For this reason only another Dell Dimension 3000 motherboard will work.  In addition, the Dell supplied Windows CD will only install on a board with a Dell BIOS.

Considering the age of the PC, one thing to check or replace is the CPU heat sink compound.  If it were a heat problem in that area the heat sink compound could be one potential problem.

The original Dell Hard Drive has diagnostics (or did originally) accessed by F12 at power on.

There are also various diagnostic indicators such as the color of the power light or whether it's flashing, beep codes, etc.  HERE is the troubleshooting section of the manual.

THIS is one place that lists a refurbished 3000 motherboard.  I know nothing about the site other than I found it doing a google search.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 15th, 2010 19:00

I responded to your thread yesterday, but I guess the moderators deleted that one because you included the Service Tag number (3 times!)

You should have gotten an email with my response at whichever address you used to register with the forum. I said essentially the same things fireberd just told you.

בסדר

:emotion-5:

Ron

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 15th, 2010 21:00

There's a Dimension 3000 motherboard here for $60. It doesn't state the condition (new, refurbished, system pull) or warranty so those are things to ask.

And you're sure it's the motherboard and not the power supply? DId you check the diagnostic LED code on rear of the tower? When was the last time the motherboard battery was replaced..?

Ron

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 15th, 2010 23:00

I spoke with the guy selling that MB, his store is in Austin, Texas... He checked for me and said that there is only one form factor for the Dimension 3000... that should mean that there is one model of MB out there for this computer... so, a cheap one off ebay, as long as it's from a top-rated seller, should work just find... right???

BTW, thanks for all the great responses... I really appreciate it... you guys are the best... תודה, Dan

A 4600 mainboard may fit as well, and unlike the 3000 it has an AGP slot and two SATA posts. Both boards share the same chipset so there should be no trouble with drivers. Any Windows activation problems can be dealt with via a call to the Microsoft 1-800 line.

There are some very reasonably priced 4600 boards on eBay.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 16th, 2010 10:00

A 4600 motherboard might (or not) fit in the 3000 case, but the bigger issue is the front panel connector.

Dell typcially uses custom connectors between the front panel and the motherboard. So unless the wiring is identical between these two systems, it's not going to work. Wiring for Dell's front connectors isn't publically available so unless you're able to trace out the circuits, you're better off just sticking with a 3000 motherboard, assuming the motherboard is the problem...

Ron

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 16th, 2010 12:00

Good point on the front panel connector, Ron.  Although they can be physically the same, the wiring can vary from model to model.  I don't know specifically about a 3000/4600 and it would have to be manually traced out to verify. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 16th, 2010 20:00

They are near-identical (based on the same chipset) except that the 3000 lacks AGP and SATA support, has two memory slots instead of four, and has fewer rear audio ports. (The IO shield at the back is also different.)

The manuals show the same physical front panel connectors (two 2X5 sockets, one for the switches and LEDs and the other for IO). Since the machines share the same front bezels and IO ports and were produced at the same time, I doubt Dell would have gone to the expense of different wiring.

January 24th, 2011 15:00

Ron..I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop which shut down unexpectedly..wont turn on, light up..nothing. I decided to see if i could teach myself how to build a pc using this one to work on.I removed and tested the power supply with a tester a friend of mine has and the ps works fine so I figure I probably need to replace the motherboard. I saw this thread and your question about the motherboard battery...it has never been replaced in my pc which is 5 years old. Before I go to the expense of buying a motherboard  I see a battery with a clip in the motherboard..i didnt know they had batteries!...so I guess i should buy a battery to see if by some lucky chance that is my problem. On the chance that it isnt, do i need to remove the power supply to install the motherboard,or can i replace the power supply and they just remove the motherboard without any problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide. l

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 24th, 2011 18:00

Ron..I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop which shut down unexpectedly..wont turn on, light up..nothing. I decided to see if i could teach myself how to build a pc using this one to work on.I removed and tested the power supply with a tester a friend of mine has and the ps works fine so I figure I probably need to replace the motherboard. I saw this thread and your question about the motherboard battery...it has never been replaced in my pc which is 5 years old. Before I go to the expense of buying a motherboard  I see a battery with a clip in the motherboard..i didnt know they had batteries!...so I guess i should buy a battery to see if by some lucky chance that is my problem. On the chance that it isnt, do i need to remove the power supply to install the motherboard,or can i replace the power supply and they just remove the motherboard without any problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide. l

Are you saying the power button doesn't even light up?  Do you see an LED on the motherboard light up when you power on?

Usually when the battery fails, it attempts to boot but either fails the POST, or it gets to a screen with a blinking cursor in the upper lefthand corner. So it doesn't sound like a battery problem but  a 3-volt CR2032 lithium coin cell battery is only $2.00-$3.00.

If you're sure the  PSU is working ok , it could be the motherboard or maybe even the power switch itself.  You may want to examine the motherboard for bulging or leaking capacitors. They all should look like perfectly round little cans with perfectly flat tops and no signs of leaking. You might also strip it down to bare minimum by removing all PCI cards, except video card, disconnecting the floppy and optical drives, etc, reseatomg RAM modules in their slots and then see if it will boot.

Instructions to replace the motherboard in the 3000 are here.

Is it worth any money into this system? There's a motherboard for $60 here. But ask if new, used, refurbished and if there's any warranty. And there's always eBay.

Ron

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 24th, 2011 19:00

Ron..I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop which shut down unexpectedly..wont turn on, light up..nothing. I decided to see if i could teach myself how to build a pc using this one to work on.

If the mainboard has failed (possibly due to surges or bad capacitors), it's economical to replace it with a regular micro-ATX mainboard. Newegg occasionally has budget specials for under $100; the case connectors (apart from the front audio) are standard. (The non-standard ninth lead should be removed from the USB plug.)

Last week, I got an E5200 dual-core CPU, CPU cooler, DDR3 mainboard, and 2gb of DDR3 memory for $125, including shipping. I plugged in an old 13gb hard drive, installed XP Home retail version without activating, and then used Microsoft's product key change utility to switch the product key to the one on the 3000's COA. It activated. Naturally, XP is all but passe and at some point an OS upgrade will be needed, but at this point in time, the repair cost is minimized without having to invest $$$ in old parts of questionable longevity.

If you're concerned about the power supply, OEM-type units can be had for under $30. I bought a $25 Coolmax 500-watt and it works just fine.

1 Message

June 15th, 2013 19:00

Ron sounds like dirty contact on the memory. Fix remove memory card wipe contact and blow out sockets and blow off mother board! put back together. Ehar the most commen problem.

No Events found!