Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2007 02:00

DELL Dimension 3000 / No Sound No ADI Codec No Ethernet Controller

This computer recently had a new hard drive installed and new memory, along with the installation of Windows XP Professional (it came with Windows XP Home).  They asked me to work on it because the tech neglected to install drivers for most things.  He also didn't supply a valid Windows license and therefore, they could not get Windows Updates.

I put on their original Windows XP Home and did updates.  However, I cannot get the ethernet controller to work or the sound drivers and it says No ADI Codec.  They do not have original driver CD and I have been on Dell driver support for all drivers (including Chipset installation and checking BIOS for enabling Audio) and having NO LUCK!

Please if you could give some advice it would be greatly appreciated!

3 Posts

December 12th, 2007 10:00

Thank you for your quick reply.  Yes, I did install the chipset listed under the Dell 3000 driver support.  I guess I can uninstall sound drivers, etc. and start over or should I reinstall Windows XP Home?  What do you think?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 12th, 2007 10:00

Did you install the Intel chipset drivers?  That is a common omission and most likely the reason the devices do not work and the reason drivers such as the sound cannot be installed. 

The correct install sequence is (1) install OS (2) Install chipset drivers (3) install device drivers (e.g. the sound).

December 12th, 2007 12:00

Hi ledfethr,

Thank You for contacting Dell Community Forum,

So as you informed that you had installed the chipset drivers, but after installing chipset drivers did you restart the computer.

You have also mentioned that you had enabled the integrated audio i.e ' on ' and in the same way the integrated network. If you have done it thats good, if not i request you to do a double check.

And also tell me once you install the audio or network drivers what happens, did you get any form of error message or any information that you would like to share ?

I m hereby sending you the links for the audio and the network drivers, if possible download them and then try to install it on the computer.

Audio Driver - 

Network Driver - 

Please feel free to reply back if you need any further support...

Regards,
Cybertracker.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2007 15:00

Etiquette tip of the day:

When a Diamond user is helping someone, and you want to add to the conversation, it's best to acknowledge the help provided by the Diamond member and augment that support as opposed to taking over the lead role on the thread. Not acknowledging the Diamond member is on the job is "stepping on toes," and not polite.

This is not to discourage anyone from adding their support or ideas to an existing thread, but to point out that Diamond members actively working a thread deserve the chance to work with the original poster.

3 Posts

December 12th, 2007 15:00

Dear Cybertracker:

I have done all that you mentioned but am checking everything as you suggested.  You inquired as to an error messages when I install the audio.  Yes, I had mentioned in my first message that I get the no ADI Codec.  Is their an additional fix for this or will it fix itself when the audio installs properly?

Thank you for your help! 
No Events found!