Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

April 9th, 2014 19:00

DELL REPLACED 2720 HDD WITH WRONG VERSION OF WINDOWS 8 AND IT WILL NOT ACTIVATE

At 6 months the Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 drive failed. As I have 2nd Day On-Site, a Dell tech came over and replaced it. Windows will not activate; the error says the product key is invalid. Turns out Dell shipped a drive with an image with Windows 8 Core Instead of Pro. A week later and after many hours on the phone and remote log- in, Dell sent a 2nd HDD. This one also had W8, not W8P, and again Microsoft refused activation. Now I find that Dell hardware support is convinced that my machine shipped with what they call "Windows 8 Home". At one point they called it a 2710, and they don't believe it has a SSD drive as well.

i became frustrated and insisted that the support team leader simply get on a browser, go to Dell.com, enter my Service Tag, and check the system configuration. she did so, and read off exactly the information that they were denying. This system sold for $2,199; I got a discount to $1,999. When the 2nd tech was here, I showed them the receipt listing all of the details. 

After the 2nd drive was installed, a "level 3" technician called and logged on for remote support. His mission was to erase the registry key and BIOS information for the Windows 8 Pro installation, and force the system to accept the basic edition. He was unable to make that work (I was at work; my wife helped him gain access)  so now he has declared the hardware failure service ticket to be completed. He has opened a new software issue ticket, and has transferred me to software support. He has also shipped out installation disks for Windows 8. I am expected to work with software support to install what I'm sure will be W8 Basic. 

As I'm sure most readers are aware, setting up a system like this is more complicated than loading some software like, say Turbotax. Even if I have been sent W8 Pro, the disk image I have is for a lesser machine. How will I set up the SSD that doesn't exist on W8 Basic machines?

Does anyone have any idea what is happening? How can I contact someone at Dell Who can intercede in this "train wreck" of incredibly bad support? Anyone can log in remotely and check the on-board hardware, and realize that this configuration always ships with Pro. 

By the way, I also sent them a photo of the machine label, complete with Service Tag and Windows 8 Pro badge. Help!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 9th, 2014 21:00

Suggest you repost this on the Customer Care forum and/or contact Dell on Facebook.

6 Posts

April 9th, 2014 21:00

I followed your advice about the Customer Care forum. I followed the Facebook link, but can't find any place for contacting Dell.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 11th, 2014 10:00

What Color is the Windows 8 badge and what color does it transition to?

Chat with Tech Support

I just configured an order for the $1599 price point and it NEVER comes with WIN8 PRO.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 11th, 2014 10:00

Who you contact is directly related to what country you are in. The forum is not direct contact with Dell support. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/expired_warranty?c=us&cs=19&s=dhs&DoNotRedirect=y

Expired Warranty Support - Call 800-822-6031

Enter your Express Service Code (located on the back of your PC) and your call will be routed to the appropriate technician.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 11th, 2014 12:00

I followed your advice about the Customer Care forum. I followed the Facebook link, but can't find any place for contacting Dell.

When I follow that link to facebook there's a form to fill in for Dell Support.  I don't think the link is country-specific but I'm in the US and the link works for me:

Dell Support for Facebook Fans

We try to respond to all submissions as quickly as possible, but in some cases, it may take up to 24 business hours to receive an answer.

6 Posts

April 20th, 2014 10:00

Finally I made enough noise that I was contacted by 'executive support'. Turns out that the service tag on my XPS 2720 brings up info for some other system when used by Dell support personnel. Going to Dell.com, support, and entering the tag brings up accurate info, and that is how I think I finally got Dell to consider researching my statements. The exec support person was able to query the hardware remotely, and has done a good job so far of following up. Dell sent me a flash drive with W8P, which installed easily. I have had to go through the process of configuring Smart Response, and got the SSD partitioned correctly. I still need to set up the quick start, but the machine is back to a functioning tool again. SpeedStep, this system was offered by Costco thru their "Internet only" sales. It definitely came with Pro, a 2TB HDD plus a 32GB Samsung SSD, and an i7 4770S processor. All this is now understood in Round Rock. What is unknown is whether or not Dell will be able to make their tech support system link the Service Tag to the correct configuration. Funny that the customer access support site has the correct info, but internal database does not. I really wish Dell could have sent a replacement hard drive with an image of the factory configuration. They must have sold thousands like this; one would think that they would have saved the master image for just such drive failures. Apparently not. This has cost me untold hours of phoning, frustration, and finally rebuilding the configuration myself. I lost use of the machine from March 23 to now, and if still have not finished restoring to the point I can use Outlook or other essential programs. I will spend today continuing recovery from Carbonite and a local backup. Not a good experience. I'm wondering why it was so difficult to find someone willing to consider the possibility that, as two imaged drives were rejected by Microsoft, there could've some validity to my statements and to the copy of the sales receipt from Costco that I gave to the 2nd on-site technician.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 20th, 2014 11:00

It's a major source of frustration that Microsoft insists on OEMs not bundling reinstallation disks with new PCs.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 20th, 2014 13:00

Part of the ISSUE is "this system was offered by Costco thru their "Internet only" sales"

That means it had to be registered with Dell because it Was not Purchased Directly from Dell.

And any warranty would be with COSTCO not DELL.

6 Posts

April 21st, 2014 05:00

That is incorrect. The system is backed by a 2nd business day on-site warranty From Dell. They sent a technician to my home. Twice. Costco handled the paper, but the system shipped from Dell. SpeedStep, what is your issue with my post? Of course I registered with Dell as the purchaser. The machine worked beautifully for six months. Why the negative attitude? 

No Events found!