Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2013 20:00

DELL XPS 400 PROBLEMS

Heres the main problem .

I'm rebuilding an XPS 400 ( got it as a ' hand me down ' ) . I want to run a ONE TERRABYTE hard drive instead of the 2 , 250 gigs . As it stands , it has NO hard drive ( s) ,& 4 gigs of memory ( memory is brand new, never fired up , as is the  video card ) .

Is it possible to run the one large hard drive, or am I going to be stuck with the useless 2 small ones ? Or, can 2 larger ones be used instead of the smaller ones ?

7 Posts

September 10th, 2013 21:00

So then, I do have to run with 2 hard drives ? I'm guessing I can run the 1 TB and a smaller one as a secondary ?  As you can see , I'm beyond novice at rebuilding .

Thanks for the help !!

Oh, then why is it that EVERY review I've read about the XPS 400 says that the MAX I can run are the 2 - 250's ?

I had asked another forum the same thing about running the 1 TB, and they said I had to stay within the factory installed sized drives .

Would I have to change any settings since the new drives would be considerable larger than stock ?

Sorry to pick your brain like this !

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 10th, 2013 21:00

STINGRAY76

A 1tb hard drive will work fine in the XPS 400 as the primary, you can also install another 1tb hard drive as an additional hard drive, if you so wish.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 10th, 2013 22:00

So then, I do have to run with 2 hard drives ? I'm guessing I can run the 1 TB and a smaller one as a secondary ?  As you can see , I'm beyond novice at rebuilding .

Thanks for the help !!

Oh, then why is it that EVERY review I've read about the XPS 400 says that the MAX I can run are the 2 - 250's ?

I had asked another forum the same thing about running the 1 TB, and they said I had to stay within the factory installed sized drives .

Would I have to change any settings since the new drives would be considerable larger than stock ?

Sorry to pick your brain like this !

STINGRAY76

No, you can install just the one 1tb hard drive as the primary C: / drive, also you can install a smaller HD as the secondary.

Regards to the 250gb drives, at the time the XPS 400/Dimension 9150 was sold/manufactured [2006], probably the 250gb hard drives were the largest size available at that time.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-400_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 10th, 2013 22:00

STINGRAY76

Regards to :Would I have to change any settings since the new drives would be considerable larger than stock?"

No, the settings are the same.

Bev.

7 Posts

September 11th, 2013 16:00

Houston , we have a problem !

Just thought I'd lighten before I give the  bad news .

So, I installed the 1 tb hard drive , and fired it up . As soon as the Dell screen went off, I was hit with  lovely error messages. The screen looked as follows .

Keyboard failure

Performing automatic IDC configuration

Drive 0: Disk drive

Drive 4: cd rom device

floppy diskette seek failure

time of day not set - please run set up program

invalid configuration information - please run set up program

strike f1 key to continue , f2 to run set up utility

I have tried to reset the cmose by moving the jumper as per the service manual , but that did nothing , All it did was mange to NOT enable the computer to turn on when using pins 1 & 2 . It will ONLY run if the jumper is on pins 2 & 3 . I have tried a few times and still the same result.

So, what did I do wrong, OR , is the computer a waste of time ?

Sorry about this !!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 11th, 2013 18:00

STINGRAY76

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or off and the sequence of the Diagnostic Lights on the front panel.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-400_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Also, replace the battery on the motherboard, they are inexpensive.  

A 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell is required, this can be purchased from any Radio Shack, WalMart and most pharmacies.

The battery replacement info, and the XPS 400 troubleshooter are listed in the Owners Manual link posted above.

Regards to 'floppy diskette seek failure':

After replacing the battery, if there's no floppy drive installed, set the Diskette Drive option to 'OFF'  in the system setup.

Regards to 'time of day not set - please run set up program':

Set the Time and Date in the system setup.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 11th, 2013 19:00

STINGRAY76

Diagnostic lights 123x indicate 'Another Failure', this could be a motherboard failure.

Were there any 'Beeps'?

First check that all the power and data cables are properly connected, including the cables to the front panel.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU may be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor.

Bev.

7 Posts

September 11th, 2013 19:00

When I changed the jumper to pins 2&3, the power button stays solid green, and lights 1, 2, & 3 show .

I can't the system set up because there is a keyboard error message . I know there is NOTHING wrong with the keyboard as I have checked it on a different computer . As for the USB ports, they are all working as well .

As I said , according to the service manual, the jumper is supposed to be on pins 1 & 2 , but it won't power up that way . That seems to be one of the big problems . 1

There is no floppy drive installed. Just the cd/dvd drive and the multi-card reader .

7 Posts

September 11th, 2013 20:00

I think the machine has seen better days ! Everytime I change the jumper position and/or jump the 24 pin connector, the error message changes . BUT, the keyboard failure is a constant .

And yes, there is beeping . 3 beeps followed by 3 more . I'm guessing I should just strip it and wave bye bye . Unless, of course , I take it to a repair shop and probably get the bad news .

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 11th, 2013 21:00

STINGRAY76

That's a bummer.  :emotion-6:

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 11th, 2013 22:00

STINGRAY76

The problem with the Dell XPS 400, it's a BTX system, not ATX.

There no retail BTX motherboards available, that would fit into the XPS 400 chassis, you would have to use another Dell XPS 400/9150 motherboard and the ones available are used [aka refurbished].

Bev.

7 Posts

September 11th, 2013 22:00

Well, if its the motherboard and/or processor , it doesnt make much sense to sink that kind of money into an 8 year old machine . All depends on whats wrong with it .

Well, anyway , thanks for putting up with my emails and spending all that time !!

7 Posts

September 11th, 2013 23:00

Refurbished is not that good an idea . As I said, it all depends on what they find wrong . If it turns out to be the board, the machine gets stripped and junked . I can always sell the new parts as they never really got used .

No Events found!