Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2017 13:00

DELL XPS 7100 Gpu upgrade

So I have a dell xps 7100 desktop with a x6 1055t processor, HD radeon 6770 graphics card and a 460w psu. Today the graphic card stopped working so I am  now looking for a new graphic card. I dont have much knowledge in this area and  my main concern is the compatibility of the gpu with my outdated system. Please suggest me GPUs in the lower to mid range compatible with this system

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

June 9th, 2017 17:00

Hi abhinav9842, 

Since the system is a bit older now, I am not sure of the current cards that would work, but the ones mentioned in this thread should be fine. You should also try searching on the forums further to see if there were any further recommendations, unfortunately I do know you might be limited on getting something like a newer 1050/1060+ working. If you do happen to try any of the recommendations searching the forum, let us know how it goes!

Best regards,

Brad

June 9th, 2017 21:00

I am actually considering 1050 as it consumes 75w while the 5770 consumes 108w. I just need to know from you all that if it would work or not and will the 1055t bottleneck it. If you guys are not sure about the 1050 I ll just go for the 750ti as recommended in the linked thread

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

June 12th, 2017 10:00

The 1050 might be worth a try, but this is only if you can return the card without a restocking fee etc. The reason I say this, is that while the wattage works out I cannot guarantee it will work due to how the system will identify the card (because of its age). The good news is it will be quick for this to be determined, because the system will either boot w/ the new card or it will just display a blank/black screen etc. If you do happen to try the 1050 please update the thread. 

On a side note, regardless of what card you decide to use, I would recommend updating your BIOS at this link by using your Service Tag and uninstalling your current GPU's software and drivers (before installing the new card).

Best regards,

Brad 

No Events found!