Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2017 02:00

DEll Optiplex 580

Hi,

Due to the location of my 580 I cannot press the power button. Various suggestion have been made re shorting the pins on the header but my header is a multipin plug and socket. I would like to connect a remote power button if possible, but do not know how to safely connect or where to connect the extension cable. Would be gratefull for any help.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 22nd, 2017 19:00

Old fix is to use a power strip and change the bios to turn computer on after power interruption. Not the best solution for newer models but might work for you.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 28th, 2017 09:00

Wake on lan and Intel AMT are available on many optiplex models to do remote on and off. Broadcom® TruManage™ technology allows IT to monitor and maintain the OptiPlex 580 remotely, helping to minimize user downtime and schedule patches and updates during "off peak" hours.

http://www.amd.com/Documents/48106A_dell_comm_client.pdf

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20179305/download

Remote management of client computers often requires the managed computer to be turned on with an operating system running. When a computer is turned on with a running operating system, the computer is considered in-band.

Out-of-band (OOB) is when a client computer is in one of the following out-of-band states:

• The computer is plugged in but is not actively running (off, standby, hibernating).
  • The operating system is not loaded (software or boot failure).
  • The software-based management agent is not available.

Out-of-band management is the ability to manage client computers regardless of the state of their power, operating system, or management agents. With Out-of-Band you can remotely change the power state of the computer, collect hardware inventory, and perform other management tasks that would normally require a visit to a client computer. This particular whitepaper will discuss the OOB solutions that are enabled using the networking interface on the system.

Here is a list of prevailing industry OOB solutions:-

• Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT) 2.0 and later (also known as Intel® vPro and Intel® Centrino® Pro technology)
  • Broadcom ASF 2.0 and Intel ASF 2.0
  • Broadcom DASH

No Events found!