Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 1st, 2011 09:00

DIMENSION 3000-basic ques. about wireless internet

I've checked the faqs & other posts . . . I have a very basic question.  I have a Dimension 3000 desktop.  The room I want to move it to does not have a cable outlet (get my internet via WOW cable).  Can I use a wireless router to do that?  The idea is:  have the router hooked up in a room with a cable outlet and use the computer and internet from another location in the house.  If so, what all do I need other than a router?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 1st, 2011 11:00

You need a wireless adapter for your PC. The ASUS USB-N10 is a very small wireless adapter that is usb powered.

Wireless N USB 2.0 Adapter ASUS Wireless N USB 2.0 Adapter
SKU: 347427

14.4K Posts

November 1st, 2011 19:00

You need a we bit more than just and adapter. You will need to contact your cable company and either one get a combo wireless router and cable modem from them  or find out which make and model routers will work on your cable network and purchase your own.

Your system will support either PCI wireless adapters or Like the previous poster a USB adapter.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 4th, 2011 12:00

Many Cable and Fios customers get a WIRED/Wireless router now that uses the COAX instead of CAT5 for internet.

My Verizon FiOS Router. Model #: MI424WR connection is like that.  

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 5th, 2011 12:00

You need a we bit more than just and adapter.

Some ISP-furnished routers ARE combo wired/wireless, like the one Verizon loaned me. If not, a wireless access point that connects to one of the Ethernet ports on the router will add wireless capability.

7 Posts

November 21st, 2011 03:00

Thanks all.  I just got e-mail notification that there was a reply to my original post.  I'm way past this issue . . . got a Belkin adpater and wireless router - since then, I've had other problems.  Can't tell whether it's coincidental ... after intsalling the adapter & router, when I'd turn on my Epson Stylus NX 400 printer, I'd completely lose the adapter - the icon for the wireless connection would disappear from the system tray.  No fix would work & the only way to get it back was to uninstall & reinstall the wireless and adapter software.  I switched the USB port connection for the printer.  That eliminated the initial problem, but then it wouldn't work property (during printing it would stop, start, stop, start....).  So, I unistalled the printer software but now, when I put the disc in to reinstall it, the installer gets to a point where it tells me to plug the printer cable in to the computer.  I do, and the installer program never detects the printer.  I've tried a new cable (doesn't work), I've tried updating the drivers, hell, I can't remember everything I've tried.  Also, I purchased a WD (Essential) portable drive, thinking it's time to back-up my hard drive.  It's supposed to be a 'plug & play', but it doesn't work - when I plug it in to a USB port, I can see that it's getting power, but then nothing comes up on the computer - there's no way to actually interface with it.  I can see the device when I open Device Manager, but I can't find a way to actually "open" it to begin the back-up process and make setttings on it.

Finally, after my driver update, I keep getting the driver insall wizard telling me it sees new hardware whenever I restart the computer.  I've gone to device manager and uninstalled the hardware that it identifies.  The uninstall appears to work & the wizard doesn't pop-up again, UNTIL I restart the computer.  And, oh yeah, now I have a pop-up on IE that I can't get rid of . . . when I open my browser, I get the pop-up that asks me whether I want to have only secured stuff.  I wasn't getting that before, either.  I've gone in to "Safety" on IE Explorer & it lists the "Smartscreen Filter" as being off.

UGGGGGHHHH!!!!

No Events found!