Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2015 11:00

DISPLAY

I know how to turn off my display after a selected time has passed; but, after the display is turned off, how do I turn it back on?  I don't want the computer to sleep since it doesn't always want to wake up.  If I can turn the display off and on, perhaps that is almost as good.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 19th, 2015 17:00

1DGJSX1 isn't a PC model number. Your model will be "Inspiron" followed by a # or "XPS" followed by a #.

How are you trying to turn the monitor back on?

If mouse/keyboard don't do it, go into Device Manager and find listing for USB root hubs. Double-click each one and then click the Power Management tab. Uncheck box "Allow PC to turn off..". Repeat for all USB root hubs.

Then find Human Interface Devices in Device Manager, open each entry and if it has a Power Management tab, uncheck the same box. Exit DM.

Now open your Power plan and click Advanced Options. Look for USB settings on the list and disable USB Selective Suspend. Save the change and exit.

Reboot and see if that helps...

9 Posts

December 21st, 2015 06:00

I did what you suggested and all seems to be working just fine.  Thank you and have a great holiday!!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 18th, 2015 11:00

To turn the display on and off, use the power button the monitor.

9 Posts

December 18th, 2015 12:00

Thanks.  But, when I used the power button to turn the display off, the computer shut down.  I can't use the power button for anything other than turning the computer on and off.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 18th, 2015 13:00

Thanks.  But, when I used the power button to turn the display off, the computer shut down.  I can't use the power button for anything other than turning the computer on and off.

I wrote the monitor's power on/off button not the PC's power button.

Otherwise, I have no clue what you are talking about.

9 Posts

December 18th, 2015 14:00

I have an All-In-On.  Guess that didn't show up on my original question even though I did include that fact.  If I had a desktop with a monitor, I would know what to do.  This All-In-One is making me crazy.  The power button turns on everything and turns off everything.  This is an expensive computer and the easiest things are so difficult.  I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere. 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 18th, 2015 15:00

You can change the Windows setting change the setting when the display turns off after inactivity.

Apparently on an AIO, the power button is for the entire PC.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 18th, 2015 17:00

If you move the mouse or click a key on keyboard, the monitor should turn on again. If it doesn't, you may need to change some USB settings in Windows so USB doesn't get turned off when there's no activity.

What version of Windows and exact PC model?

9 Posts

December 19th, 2015 07:00

WOW!  Thanks so much for answering.  I have Windows 10 and my PC All-In-One Model is:

1DGJSX1.  I just got this computer this summer and it was an expensive one.  If I let is sleep, it oftentimes will not wake up unless I unplug and re-boot.  Some issue many are complaining about.   So, I figured if I can turn off the display, it would help.  However, turning off the display is proving to be difficult.  I can go into the Control Panel and turn off the display after a designated number of minutes; but, how do you turn the display back on????

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 19th, 2015 13:00

9 Posts

December 19th, 2015 14:00

Maybe because I also have a touch screen????

9 Posts

December 19th, 2015 14:00

Thanks, but I don't have a laptop.  I have an All-In-One and for whatever reason, when I change the settings, the display will not turn back on.  Have to unplug and reboot.

9 Posts

December 20th, 2015 08:00

Thanks!  I'll give it a try.  Out doing last minute holiday stuff -- stay tuned.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 21st, 2015 11:00

Your came early!   :emotion-4:

Glad you got it sorted.  

No Events found!