Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2009 17:00

DO NOT BUY A DELL

My name is Larry Scurlock I have been a loyal customer for dell for over 10 years.  I started buying dell's because i thought they had a good,  quality product.  In 2006 I refered my mother Linda Haynes to dell because i wanted her to have a good product,  reliable and year's of care free computering.  She was hesitant at first because of the cost,  but I asured her it would be worth it because of the quality.  From day 1 of the purchase of the xps/dimension she had nothing but problems.  After many calls to tech support and even purchasing extended warrantys,  she was still unhappy with the performance of her machine.  I would go over and work on it for her just because she would not be able to speak to and understand some of the people at the tech support,  being of forien decent.   After many times of restores and defrag's loosing all her saved stuff,  the computer finnaly stoped working.  I called the tech support to get help but none was giving,  only if u could pay hundreds of dollars for a tech person to help u.  I tried talking with some of the people dell has working for them and some are imposible to understand.  So i gave up and took the maching to a local repair center Best Buy...the geek squad.  After paying more money to have them check it out,  i was told the mother board was bad,  so they thought.  Not struck by lighting or storm surge,  just defective they say.  But they was unable to even replace the mother board or work on dell's because of some deal they have worked out.  To get my mother's computer fixed,  it would have to be sent to dell and would be gone for several weeks.  It would also cost several hundred dollars for the new mother board because the warranty was out.  Warranty...what warranty?  Even though my mom had purchase the extended warranty,  it was out by 2 months.  So i called dell.  Another joke!!  First it was more forieners Aienla at customer service hard to understand and rude.  I asked to speak to her manager or supervisor and she said " why? they we only tell u what i have told u" she was right.  I spoke to the manager there Danny,  also from another country obviously.  I tried to be profesional and polite but it's no use. No help and does not care anything about customer service and customer satisfaction,  dont waste your time.  So i get tranfered again to hardware,  another non caring foriener. After being on the phone for over 2 hours trying to get someone to hear my complaint and understand my problems i was transfer to sales.  Guess what?  In sales i finnaly got a american,  someone who spoke english???  What the heck... guess they are trying to get everyone who call's to think they have english speaking people to help them?  I am not predjudice at all.  I love America and what we stand for.  It just seems to hard to try to communicate first of all with a language barrier or much less someone not in this country that cares,  they are out of this country...why should they care?  So to end this note I say to you,  i will never buy another dell and I will tell everyone here in America what kind of bussiness dell is doing.  If u want a good product go to your local stores and buy them,  and save your self alot of hard earn money and grief.

19 Posts

February 25th, 2009 17:00

This has to be a goof? Doesn't it? Well, just in case it isn't... Larry, what you did to the English language in this run on sentence is far worse than anything those "forieners" you kept mentioning would do. :emotion-16:

482 Posts

February 25th, 2009 18:00

So Larry,

Quite a story or more like a total work of fiction from my arm chair,  your mother bought this supposed Dell system in 2006, around three years ago, and you join the forum today and write your first post on this subject today, after being a loyal customer of Dell for 10 or more years, at the time you got the system for you mother in 2006?   Yes, I like totally believe you.

And you actually expect me to believe that your mother is of foriegn lineage, speaking English is difficult for her, so she and you have no empathy for someone else who is of foruegn lineage?  Yeah, right.

And Best Buy could not work on a unti that was already out of warranty with Dell?  Most computer geeks have a soft spot for working on a rig, especially if they are going to make a few bucks on the deal

Nothing in your story adds up to anything  but trying to fan the flames of disrespect.  I have had nothing but the good service from Tec h Support and Customer Support.  I can not say that they were able to do all that I wanted, because they are limited by their respective job descriptions and job limitations, but that is true from all companies.  Techs are limited by what they are told to do, they can not vary.  I do not let my employees hot dog and make stuff up as they go, no relieable company does.

I remain unaffected by your poor attempt at deception.

Darrell WV

166 Posts

February 25th, 2009 18:00

Ehhhh...

I've never had a problem with customer support.....

Video card died....next day I had a new one....same with my monitor.

I understand your frustration with the outsourcing of support because honestly it is very hard to understand what they are saying.

Thats why I'm glad the XPS support is still based in the US....

If it ( XPS support ) was outsourced I would never buy anything from Dell again...( I may not anyway...as my problems with my 410 are atroucious....even though they were all corrected...i should have never had them to begin with. )

My 8200 was stable as a rock in comparision...

Dell is getting too expensive anymore...the only thing that is good is the customer support...so even though the cost is higher compared to other computer builders...thier warranty support is second to none.

Peace of mind is worth it...

3.6K Posts

February 26th, 2009 05:00

" It would also cost several hundred dollars for the new mother board because the warranty was out.  Warranty...what warranty?  Even though my mom had purchase the extended warranty,  it was out by 2 months."So,you even said it yourself the warranty is out?.....So what is the problem i do not understand,...did you expect to get service for free?.....If that is the case then Dell did nothing wrong the warranty is out by 2 months,does not matter the warranty has expired and that is it.

If i am reading this wrong then please explain what the problem is?....

27 Posts

Dell is a noun.  That's kinda funny.  Dell is a name and it is also a registered trademark as DELL.  Either or are correct.  Just confirming that.

Anywho.  Larry.  My grandma has computer problems each and everyday.  She is always asking me for help.  It is frusterating at times, especially when the fix is GUI related and all I do is move a frame over a little.  It is really frusterating when it is worse.  For example, trying to explain that MSFT bit the dust with IE and admitted there is a severe bug in it that has been around since IE 5 - SO DON'T USE THAT NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY!!

My grandma has been around computers for a long time though, and she has managed to come over a good deal of the tech barrier that seperates her generation from our generation, so I calmly applaud her as often as I can on her computer skills.  She loves that.

The point I am making is, the generation gap is a big reason why my parents and grandparents have computer issues.  No offense to the older generation, not everyone is like this, but they don't always understand simple security issues.  Take another example Outlook and Thunderbird.  Did you know that they are very insecure?  Here is why.  The software downloads emails to your HD, and SPAM emails often times contain scripts.  Well, on a web server the script can activate and maybe take out a Blade that can be reformated and fixed in several hours.  Because no one cares right.  Well, if that script lands on your PC and activates it is the four horses of death because your computer won't work.

Simple things like that tend to go past the majority of their generation. (majority, not all)

P.S. I think just about everyone hates the Tech Support outsourcing.

1.1K Posts

My name is Larry Scurlock I have been a loyal customer for dell (Dell is a noun, should be capitalized) for over 10 years.  I started buying dell's because i thought they had a good,  quality product.  In 2006 I refered (2 r's in referred) my mother Linda Haynes to dell because i (should be capitalized) wanted her to have a good product,  reliable and year's of care free computering(is this even a word).  She was hesitant at first because of the cost,  but I asured (assured) her it would be worth it because of the quality.  From day 1 of the purchase of the xps/dimension she had nothing but problems.  After many calls to tech support and even purchasing extended warrantys,  she was still unhappy with the performance of her machine.  I would go over and work on it for her just because she would not be able to speak to and understand some of the people at the tech support,  being of forien(foreign) decent.   After many times of restores and defrag's loosing(did you mean losing?) all her saved stuff,  the computer finnaly stoped (finally stopped) working.  I called the tech support to get help but none was giving,  only if u could pay hundreds of dollars for a tech person to help u.  I tried talking with some of the people dell has working for them and some are imposible(impossible) to understand.  So i gave up and took the maching (should end with an e, not g) to a local repair center Best Buy...the geek squad.  After paying more money to have them check it out,  i was told the mother board was bad,  so they thought.  Not struck by lighting or storm surge,  just defective they say.  But they was unable to even replace the mother board or work on dell's because of some deal they have worked out.  To get my mother's computer fixed,  it would have to be sent to dell and would be gone for several weeks.  It would also cost several hundred dollars for the new mother board because the warranty was out.  Warranty...what warranty?  Even though my mom had purchase the extended warranty,  it was out by 2 months.  So i called dell.  Another joke!!  First it was more forieners (there is a g in this word) Aienla at customer service hard to understand and rude.  I asked to speak to her manager or supervisor and she said " why? they we only tell u what i have told u" she was right.  I spoke to the manager there Danny,  also from another country obviously.  I tried to be profesional (2 s's) and polite but it's no use. No help and does not care anything about customer service and customer satisfaction,  dont (apostrophe) waste your time.  So i get tranfered (assume you meant transfered) again to hardware,  another non caring foriener. After being on the phone for over 2 hours trying to get someone to hear my complaint and understand my problems i was transfer to sales.  Guess what?  In sales i finnaly got a american,  someone who spoke english???  What the heck... guess they are trying to get everyone who call's to think they have english speaking people to help them?  I am not predjudice at all.  I love America and what we stand for.  It just seems to hard to try to communicate first of all with a language barrier or much less someone not in this country that cares,  they are out of this country...why should they care?  So to end this note I say to you,  i will never buy another dell and I will tell everyone here in America what kind of bussiness dell is doing.  If u want a good product go to your local stores and buy them,  and save your self alot of hard earn money and grief.

Don't mean to belittle you, however, it is saying something when you are bashing others for not being able to speak English, and you yourself seem to be having a difficult time.  I mean, a few typos are understandable, but that many seems ridiculous.

1.1K Posts

What I should have said was Dell was a proper noun. :emotion-2:  At least that would have made more sense.

141 Posts

All,
Please ease up on Larry. A broken PC is frustrating.

Larry,
Send me the service tag number in a private message so I can read through the call logs.

149 Posts

February 26th, 2009 10:00

I love Larry. He loves his mom and is frustrated that he can't help her.  Maybe Chris can help him out. 

12 Posts

February 27th, 2009 00:00

I've had a Dimension 4600 /w XP 4 over 3 years, In fact that's what I'm using now, The only probl;ems I've had with this were user inflicted. Most of the time the PC fixed itself. When it didn't, I did some research and fixed it myself.  Dells not alone when it comes to language barriers.  That's when I have a problem  I search the web or the owners manual.

There are sites on the internet that have videos showing step by step instructions on how to change parts on any PC. All of the parts just snap into place.

Save time, money and frustration:emotion-5: 

8 Posts

March 13th, 2010 05:00

I bought this monitor direct from Dell  just a little over three years ago and the top right corner of the screen looks like a black hole about 2" in diamiter and it is getting bigger everyday fast it just started this about 4 days ago and it is also starting in the top left and bottom left cornor of the screen today. I paid alot of money for this monitor and cannot believe it is already going out on me, what a waste......................................................:(

No Events found!