Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2010 09:00

DVD-Rom and CD-RW missing

I've known for sometime that I could not use my dvd/cd rom drives but didn't realize until yesterday that the drive it's located on is totally missing.  I have no idea what happened to it.  I installed the drivers for both, from Dell, last night but I have no idea how to install them.  Can anyone offer me assistance on this?  I am not an IT person so I need very easy instructions.  Thanks!!!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 14th, 2010 10:00

You couldn't have downloaded any drivers for your CD or DVD drives as the ONLY drivers are the built in drivers in Windows.  Maybe it was a "firmware" update. 

But, until you get the drives working in Windows you won't be able to install any firmware updates (if they are needed).

You need to repost on the Disk Drive section, the section for CD/DVD drive problems.  Along with your PC model number they will need the Operating System (I assume XP) and the status or error code that is shown in the Device Manager for the drives (and I'm assuming the drives have power and you can open and close the drive doors).  To access the Device Manager, hold the Windows key down and press the Pause/Break key.  When the next panel comes up you can access the Device Manager from that Panel. 

Disk Drive section.

No Events found!