Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2015 17:00

DVD burner disappeared

3647 DVD drive appears to work OK.  The DVD burner  command screen has disappeared.  (Win 7)  How do I restore it?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 29th, 2015 18:00

What software were you using to burn DVDs, Roxio or something else..?

Do you mean your shortcut isn't working? Have you searched your hard drive for that software's .exe file ?

Did you purchase this software or was it pre-installed by Dell?

Do you have the software installation disk?

2 Posts

April 29th, 2015 19:00

The software was preinstalled by Dell.  All I've been able to find about it relates to a "tray-load DVD drive".  I never noted the manufacturer.  I have searched through program files for a likely candidate, but haven't found one. (There is a poor Win DVD maker, but that isn't it.)   I've tried updating the DVD driver on the web and have been told the installed driver is the current one.   I can't find anything to connect a shortcut to.

I have the Dell OS disk and one labeled drivers and utilities.  I haven't tried to run this disk.

35 Posts

April 30th, 2015 05:00

Was that software part of your Dell Software Downloads?

Go to your Dell PC support page page under (Drivers and downloads) (linked below) scroll down to "Dell Download Center" and sign-in to see if you have any DVD authoring software packages you can download and reinstall. For a while Dell was partial to "Roxio" but I don't know if that is still the case.

www.dell.com/.../drivers

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 30th, 2015 14:00

Yes, if Dell installed the software, it should be available for download and reinstallation here.

That said, you have start thinking about why the software disappeared in the first place. Is it possible some little "creature" messed around with your PC and accidentally deleted the software? :emotion-5:

Back up your personal files on external hard drive or USB stick(s) ASAP in case this was the first indication of a failing hard drive. 

Then reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load. Go to Utilities partition and run the extended hard drive tests. This may take a long time, especially if it's a large hard drive. Jot down any error messages.

If no errors found, reboot to the desktop and then:

1. Click: Start>Run
  2. Type in: chkdsk c: /f
  3. Click OK
  4. Accept offer to run chkdsk at next boot
  5. Reboot and let chkdsk run before Windows loads

And then scan your hard drive thoroughly for malware...

No Events found!