Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 8th, 2008 13:00

Dead PC?

Yesterday, I shut down my Dell Dimension 5100 correctly, and went to work. When I came back to my apartment, I tried turning it on and it wouldn't. I live by myself, so I know nobody could've touched it between that time I went to work and came home.

So far, I tested the power supply (which is fine) and I opened up the frame to look inside, where there is a green LED lit up right by the RAM slots.

Is it time to get rid of this piece of junk, or is there a simple solution I'm overlooking?

501 Posts

March 8th, 2008 13:00

Mweinr,

What color is your power button light ? Is it green, amber, blinking green, blinking amber ? Check the chart here to match what you have. It also lists some resolutions to your problem.

Also, whats the status of the four diagnostic lights on the front of your computer ? Match them with the diagnostic light chart here . This chart also lists some resolutions.

Hopefully these two things should point to whats wrong.

Warren

8 Posts

March 8th, 2008 14:00

err, sorry, there are diagnostic lights, but they won't turn on when I press the system power button.

8 Posts

March 8th, 2008 14:00

The system light is entirely off, and there aren't any "diagnostic lights" on my desktop.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 8th, 2008 18:00

Mweiner

If the power button LED is not lite, try plugging the power cable into a different outlet.

No difference, try replacing the power supply unit, or if you are comfortable around computers, you could try the following a test the power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply fan and hard drive runs, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

8 Posts

March 8th, 2008 19:00

Just called my friend and he told me what to do. It did, in fact, work.

Thank you very much!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Mweiner

Yes, you can assume it's time to try a different power supply.

Note: The D-5100 has an open back, you can use most generic standard ATX PSU, with or without, the on/off switch and either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and two SATA power connectors, that can be purchased from a local or online, computer store.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Mweiner

:)

Bev.

8 Posts

I tried the first two suggestions, neither of them worked.

The third one, haha, this is way beyond my expertise with computers. I majored in business, not technology. My friend works in tech support so I'll ask him about it.

I assume that if "rerouting" the green and black wires doesn't work, the PSU is simply dead?

April 7th, 2008 02:00

I've just experienced a similar problem - powered off computer and moved it to a different room - attempted to power it on about 3-4 hours later.  When I try the diagnostic and jump the green and black, however, the fan spins.  What then?

No ligts up front, just a green LED near the memory.  This light goes off if I disconnect the 24pin connector from the motherboard or if no power cord is connected and I hold the power button for almost 30 seconds.  As soon as I touch the power cord to the PSU, the green light goes back on.

Still recommend replacing the PSU or is it possibly something else?  What does that green LED indicate, anyway? 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 7th, 2008 03:00

atticwalker

What is the computer model and version of windows?

What is the reading of the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Bev.

April 7th, 2008 12:00

Sorry, thought this was referencing that other thread...

Dell Dimension Desktop - 5100.  Running Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Nothing green, amber, or blinking up front - all dark, regardless of how often or how long I press the power button.  The only thing that's lit is the green LED on the motherboard next to the memory modules / 24 pin connector.  This LED goes off if I hold the power button for about 30 seconds.  This LED goes on as soon as I connect the power cord to the computer (other side check in multiple wall sockets, mutliple rooms in house).

I've tried to jumper the green and black wires (as you've suggested on that other thread) and the PSU fan did kick in.  Should I still consider another PSU?  I found another thread where you discussed troubleshooting to rule out a motherboard problem but not sure that help was stemming from the same place - it was getting late for me and I wasn't in the state of mind to start that.  Anyway, is that the next step?

This computer is out of warranty now but was running like a champ up until this happened.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 7th, 2008 20:00

atticwalker

If the power button LED is not lite, then try installing a different power supply. To check the motherboard, you need a 'know' working power supply.

As the D-5100 has an open back, you can use most generic standard ATX PSU, with or without, the on/off switch and either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and two SATA power connectors. You should be able to buy this power supply from most local computer stores.

Bev.

April 8th, 2008 00:00

I picked up a new power supply this evening and made the swap.  I powered up and all is good (so I guess my other PSU wasn't 100%).  Thank you so much for staying active on this forum and helping me out!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 8th, 2008 02:00

atticwalker

That's great and I'm pleased to hear that a new power supply resolved the problem. :)

Bev.

No Events found!